Moss Gametophyte?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Moss Gametophyte?

Post by svalley »

I am not sure exactly what this is. It was at the top of a leafy sprig of moss. I found it as I was looking for something interesting to shoot on a clump of moss.There was what appeared to be a smooth yellow ovoid in the terminal bud, but under magnification it turns out to be less smooth or ovoid shaped than I first thought.

A 100% crop shows the "ovoid" more clearly and also a white mystery object.

Nikon D810, Mitutoyo 10x M Plan mounted on a 200mm Micro-Nikkor, single diffused flash, 344 frames stacked with Zerene stacker.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Steve,

In closeup, that white mystery object looks to me like it has bilateral symmetry, with a leg sticking out on the left side of the image, and things that look like eyes in the upper section, with some linear structures that could be palps and/or antennae sticking down between the upper and lower sections. Are you sure that isn't some sort of insect??

--Rik

svalley

Post by svalley »

rjlittlefield wrote:
In closeup, that white mystery object looks to me like it has bilateral symmetry, with a leg sticking out on the left side of the image, and things that look like eyes in the upper section, with some linear structures that could be palps and/or antennae sticking down between the upper and lower sections. Are you sure that isn't some sort of insect??

--Rik
I do think it is some kind of animal, perhaps a mite. It was suggested that it might be a spore capsule, based on just the first image, but looking at it on the original image it seem to clearly be some kind of very tiny critter.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic