Leaf - 2 (11x)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sharks

Leaf - 2 (11x)

Post by Sharks »

ImageLeaf - 2 (11x) by Can Tunçer, on Flickr

Tradescantia's leaf photographed with backlight. I put one Jansjö LED light on the front and one on the back. I'm not an expert. However, the small spots that may be cells of the leaf.

Camera: Canon 6D
Lens: Nikon CF Plan 10x 0.30 WD 16.5
Magnification: 11x
Light: 2 x Ikea Jansö
Focus Stack: 80 Shots
Automated Rail: WeMacro (10 um)
Tabletop Setup: flic.kr/s/aHskRJsutG

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

This is excellent. The lighting and composition are really nice. One for the wall.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Leaf - 2 (11x)

Post by Chris S. »

Sharks wrote:I'm not an expert. However, the small spots that may be cells of the leaf.
Can,

What you have is an excellent image of the plant's stomata (plural for "stoma")--the pores used by the plant for gas exchange. Stomata vary widely in size among plant species, and the ones you show are large as these structures go--around 40-55 microns wide by 70-115 microns long, in your picture. If you had set out to illustrate stomata, you could hardly have chosen a better plant. As a parallel, one of the example images in the Wikipedia entry for "Stoma" is, like yours, a Tradescantia species.

At least a few of us in this community have been looking for a good plant candidate for photographing stomata. I suspect that now we will all be taking a close look at the Tradescantia genus.

Great work!

--Chris S.

Sharks

Post by Sharks »

Thank you very much Chris :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic