Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Lens Test at 1.2x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Lens Test at 1.2x

Post by RobertOToole »

When it was sold the Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 scanner lens was known to be the highest optical resolution scanner in its day. I got lucky and picked up a parts only non-working 5400 scanner around $100 to compare it against the excellent Scanner Nikkor ED 7 element lens.

Test set up
Magnification: 1.2x
Camera: Sony A6300
Sensor size: 23.5 × 15.6 mm. APS-C. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter

For specifics on the test set-up see the link to my website at the bottom for a link to the full test on my site.

The test area outlined in blue.

The 100% crop areas within the test area.

Center crop at 100%.
Click on an image for a full size view.

Below center crop at 100%.

Corner crop at 100%.

Test area with the Minolta lens.

Test area with the Scanner Nikkor lens.

My recommendation: Buy it.
The Minolta 5400 lens performance is impressive. It does appear to be sharper compared to the excellent Scanner Nikkor ED 7 element lens with excellent CA control.

Thanks to RAF camera, there is a professionally made adapter available:
https://www.rafcamera.com/adapter-18mm-id-to-rms-male

A detailed review of the Minolta 5400 lens and more on the comparison with the scanner nikkor 7 element lens is available here on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/minol ... 5400-lens/

Questions and comments welcome.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

wow! have to try to find one.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Nice find Robert. You seem to have knack for finding these jewels :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The result is really good for this lens!

Based on this I bought a 5400 scanner to try, supposedly working but missing film holder, but have not yet pulled it apart. Waiting for the Raf adapter and then I will give it a whirl. I hope it still has a lens in it...

I think the 58mm WD at m=1.2x implies focal length of ~32mm. This means that getting short enough total extension will be challenging. You use a Sony MFT so register is short. Canon or Nikon users will need to mount the lens with only ~20mm of extension. Probably just a camera-M42 + 14mm M42 extension + M42-RMS + RAF adapter may do it.

I decided to buy the scanner/lens since the optimum m=1.2 is just right for shooting Cents on FF. I don't have the FF camera yet but I figure it's inevitable.

BTW, did any of your 5400's come with a film holder? I'd like to try the scanner as a scanner before disassembling it.

Saul

Re: Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Lens Test at 1.2x

Post by Saul »

RobertOToole wrote:...Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400...
Is this lens from Elite or Elite II ?
Thanks,
Saul
μ-stuff

RobertOToole

Re: Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Lens Test at 1.2x

Post by RobertOToole »

Saul wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:...Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400...
Is this lens from Elite or Elite II ?
Thanks,
Hi Saul.

Just Elite. Minolta says the optical res is the same for both scanners so I went for the more common and cheaper Elite. The II model seems to be a lot harder to find and more expensive. I like to would try a II if a cheap unit turned up.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:The result is really good for this lens!
Yes it was better than I hoped.
Based on this I bought a 5400 scanner to try, supposedly working but missing film holder, but have not yet pulled it apart.
Its super easy to pull Ray once you get around to it. Pull off the covers and the lens is held in place by two screws under a glued-on cover. Takes 5 minutes to pull.

Posted removal pics here: https://www.closeuphotography.com/minol ... s-removal/
Waiting for the Raf adapter and then I will give it a whirl. I hope it still has a lens in it...
Raf was really very helpful with this one, very quick in getting the unit made. I hope he sells a few to make it worth it for him to help photographers with small projects like this.
I think the 58mm WD at m=1.2x implies focal length of ~32mm. This means that getting short enough total extension will be challenging. You use a Sony MFT so register is short. Canon or Nikon users will need to mount the lens with only ~20mm of extension. Probably just a camera-M42 + 14mm M42 extension + M42-RMS + RAF adapter may do it.

Good point. I am getting spoiled working with a Sony body more and more for macro.
I decided to buy the scanner/lens since the optimum m=1.2 is just right for shooting Cents on FF. I don't have the FF camera yet but I figure it's inevitable.
Excellent. CA performance is super with the little lens, but the colors are a little bit different than the Nikons. Will be interested to see what you think once you get your lens going Ray.

I shot a test series a couple of weeks ago with the Scanner Nikkor 7. That lens seemed to like more magnification, 1.3-1.5x was best, I have to look again at the results but I believe 1.35x or something like that was the sharpest on the Sony.
BTW, did any of your 5400's come with a film holder? I'd like to try the scanner as a scanner before disassembling it.
No holders. My unit was not working, and just sold for parts.

Thanks

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mjkzz wrote:wow! have to try to find one.
Yes, that little lens surprised me. Its not impressive when you pull it from the scanner but it deliver the IQ!

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Excellent! Thanks for putting all the detailed information together on your site too. As you know via my PM I have the Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II that's been sitting in a drawer for 12 years or so. <g> Looks like RAF camera is out of stock adapter wise. I did email Rafael to see if he planned on making any more. I would love to give this a shot on my Canon 50D.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Wow, that is a small puppy! Maybe I can design something for my MM-11 nosepiece. I've done it with other lenses. What distance do I need from the sensor plane on my 50D to the back of the lens housing (or whatever)?

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Update: To those interested. Rafael just emailed me and said he would be making more in a few weeks.

-JW:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Smokedaddy wrote:Excellent! Thanks for putting all the detailed information together on your site too. As you know via my PM I have the Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II that's been sitting in a drawer for 12 years or so. <g> Looks like RAF camera is out of stock adapter wise. I did email Rafael to see if he planned on making any more. I would love to give this a shot on my Canon 50D.
Dont quote me but he usually can re-fill stock in a week or so depending on how busy they are in my experience. They are quick.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Smokedaddy wrote:Wow, that is a small puppy! Maybe I can design something for my MM-11 nosepiece. I've done it with other lenses. What distance do I need from the sensor plane on my 50D to the back of the lens housing (or whatever)?

-JW:
Sorry JW but I'm in Alaska now so wont be able to help only when I am back in the office in two weeks.

There is from my site with that lens set-up, its pretty short. This set-up looks a little strange but it's rigid! :D

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Smokedaddy wrote:...What distance do I need from the sensor plane on my 50D to the back of the lens housing (or whatever)?
If I'm right about 32mm, then you would need total extension of ~32*(m+1), or 70mm, for m=1.2 on your 50D.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks Ray, that might not be possible measurement wise, at least they way I intended it to be. No big deal.

-JW:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic