Mitutoyo objective lens coins

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rockycarter

Mitutoyo objective lens coins

Post by rockycarter »

wanted to try a macro lens. attached to the mitutoyo 10x here is an image of the end of a ball point pen. my focus was on the ink on the ball. my macro lens was f stop was set at F8. what this has showed me . i have way to much vibration in my setup. camera is a Sony A7R MarkII. my setup is an old enlarger stand. i found if i touched anything. the vibration was off the scale. here is the image single photo no stacking.Image

[Edit AdminCR: Split from different thread]
Last edited by rockycarter on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky Carter

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

my macro lens was f stop was set at F8. what this has showed me
Try it wide open, likely you will avoid the severe vignette shown.
Pau

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

thank you pau. question what is the best setup. to get the most from the mitutoyo 10 x. keep in mind this lens was disassembled. bottom element changed. i want to test this lens. to see if this lens is no good anymore. i have a 5x mitutoyo dismantled right now. i am waiting for a replacement element to arrive. i have not used this type of lens before. i will post a couple of closeup photos takens from bellows and microscope. if i have build something. to test these lens. any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Rocky Carter

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

Well, starting to get some where with this lens. I find it has a very shallow depth of field. I can see it is very sharp.

--AdminCS edited format
Rocky Carter

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

this lens is sharp. this is the lion on a Canadian half dollar. the lens has a very nice long working distance, making it very easy to light. i can see i will need to use focus stacking. this is incredible lens.Image
Rocky Carter

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Where is the replacement element coming from?
Does it come with instructions, or is this something you're used to doing? :P
Chris R

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

chris the elements is coming out of europe. these are elements that are slightly different. glass ordered to a spec. all i want to do is try to make a lens work that i own. hope you understand.
Rocky Carter

rockycarter

mitutoyo objective 10 X on bellows

Post by rockycarter »

i wanted to see how this lens would perform on my bellows. this setup canon eos 70D tethered nikon PB6 bellows mitutoyo 10X lens. this lens is out standing performer. the canadian dime is 18mm in diameter. the sail at the top of the schooner is very small. you can see the die doubling on the sail of the bluenose. i need to get setup. to do focus stacking any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thank you this coin is like a mirror difficult to light.
Rocky Carter

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

mitutoyo 20 X same dime. same setting lots of working distance. canon camera tethered bellows. this is where stacking is needed.

Rocky Carter

s58y

Post by s58y »

That 20X photo looks pretty sharp, where it's in focus. How did you get 20X magnification out of the 10X Mitutoyo -- 2X teleconverter?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

When you used this on bellows, did you do it without a tube lens?

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

s58y
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:20 pm Post subject:
That 20X photo looks pretty sharp, where it's in focus. How did you get 20X magnification out of the 10X Mitutoyo -- 2X teleconverter? no s58y this is the mitutoyo 20x SL objective.

Lou Jost
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:42 pm Post subject:
When you used this on bellows, did you do it without a tube lens? no what i was trying for a tube lens is a enlarger lens. i shorten the bellows stoped the enlarger lens down to F22 here is another image. i see with these lens. one does not have to lengthen the bellows out. i moved the lighting around. i can see that with my camera it is level but not my base. i have to make some changes.Image
Rocky Carter

rockycarter

mitutoyo objective 10 X on bellows

Post by rockycarter »

i tryed one of these relay lens. i read about here on the forum. i placed a metric ruler on the focuser. the distance from the lens to the ruler is 30mm all i can see is 2 mm. PB6 bellows is as flat as i can get it. here is the image of the ruler. i would like to know the magnification. thank you in advance. i am realizing these mitutoyo dont work anything like the cheap microscope lens.

Rocky Carter

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

here is the flag on the schooner. i see the difference. i understand thank you chris.

Rocky Carter

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: mitutoyo objective 10 X on bellows

Post by Chris S. »

Rocky,
rockycarter wrote:I would like to know the magnification. Thank you in advance.
Just under 10x, by my calculation. My math says 9.76x, but use of two decimal places implies more precision than appropriate in this instance. Here's a version of your image, annotated to show a couple of measurements we use to calculate magnification on sensor from a picture of a ruler.

The green line represents the height of your camera's sensor. According to DPReview, this is 24mm. In your image, this dimension represents 450 pixels. Therefore, in your image, 450 pixels represents 24mm field of view.

The red line represents two millimeters on the ruler you photographed, and measures 366 pixels when measured in Photoshop. Therefore, in your image, 366 pixels represents two millimeters of field of view.

After this, it's just algebra.

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic