Jumping Spider and fluorescence

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

WalterD

Jumping Spider and fluorescence

Post by WalterD »

Jumping Spiders are kind of cute compared to other spiders. This one (less than 2mm small) was found on my desk, it might have been inhabitant of the lichen branch from the previous post.
It's always -or let's say most of the time- a surprise whether and how a new object will respond to fluorescent light. In this case the image remained dark, except the pedipalps that illuminated the rest of it.
(a reflection of both can be found in the eyes). I combined this with diffused green led light, to improve the appearance of the non-fluorescent items.
For the rest the blue filterblock with the YOC6-3 exciter were used plus 2 less important ones. Objective F 23,2/Na 0,17(which is 7x). Canon EOS 5D Mk ii. Stacked with Zerene (dmap substacks).

To give you a better idea of this phenomenon I added an unstacked ventral view image showing the powerful radiation. Many details were lost due to compression, check out http://waltermachielsen.com/jumping-spi ... orescence/

Last edited by WalterD on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:35 am, edited 6 times in total.

Robert Berdan

Nice lighting

Post by Robert Berdan »

Very nice lighting and very different - nice photos.

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

They look great!

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Glad you like them!
Three days later with the same setup the eyes were responding as well. This resulted in a more bizarre image. Not sure what's the explanation, however the previous picture was made when the spider was just dead. After three days without using any fixative, decay can be expected. The "hydraulic pressure" that kept the spider in shape is gone and the eyes seem to have lost some of their their ball shape too. However, in this picture it's easy to spot the additional set of eyes they've got in the side of their heads. The other (smaller) ball shaped item next to that cannot be an eye though.

billben74

Post by billben74 »

Really interesting image and post.
Many thanks.

I find that the eyes of spider and insects do often become white as they dry out. I always do the eyes first when I doing a stack/stitch job to catch them nice and black.

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Hi Billben74,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed this may be the combination of dried eyes and fluorescence. Meantime I've edited the 1st image as the colour green was a bit too dominant, all in all slightly on the dark side as well. What do you think?

Regards,
Walter

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Ok, now we're into walking dead territory.. :shock:
:lol:

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Ok, now we're into walking dead territory..
Hahaha! :D

Thanks Jacek!

Regards,

Walter

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

SUPER!

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Ok, now this one does look scary.

Great work!
Michael

vasselle

Post by vasselle »

Bonjour
Superbes images de ces jolis yeux
Microscope Leitz Laborlux K
Boitier EOS 1200d

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Firstly many thanks for your pleasant feedback.
Unfortunately the spider did not really return; it could not be brought back to life.
However these pictures are taken from the same spider. The first image (no.4) with the Orthoplan Ultropak (Leitz) setup. Half of the third pair of eyes in the side of the head can be noticed. In the eyes you can see the typical reflection of the Ultropak -darkfield, reflected light- objective. Basically every eye in any jumping spider picture exactly mirrors the actual setup. (diffusor, microscope/camera objective lens, illumination). As mentioned, in the fluorescent images the fluorescence induced radiation from the palps is the actual light source and as such reflected in the eyes. Jumping back to image no.4 I've tried to indicate how small the spider was for real. The object is sitting here on a flat toothpick. The picture was taken after the "zombie" picture, besides the curled up legs I did not notice much decay here.

Image no.5 -a bit more dramatic- was actually the first set taken. In this picture the focus is more on the palps (avoided white clipping here) and less on the eyes. The vague hairs were taken from one single other picture, together with the stack merged to this final image.

Image no.6 is a stack of what has been shown in no.2. It is showing a ventral view of a part of the spider. Again the palps illuminate the image, furthermore noted knife-like mouth parts, similar to some insects.

Still I've got a couple of questions, maybe one of you has got an answer:
-Does anybody know this phenomenon of autofluorescent palps on spiders?
-Do "dwarf" jumping spiders exist? This one got scales instead of hairs, was wondering whether it is just very young or the scales will remain ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic