Nikon Biological Optiphot

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Nikon Biological Optiphot

Post by Smokedaddy »

I don't know the differences between all the Optiphot models but this is the one I have (images below). Plus I have a bunch of accessories and other configurations for this scope. Anyway, does anyone know 'factually' what other Nikon models, if any, are compatible or interchangeable with my Nikon Optiphot Biological's condenser carrier holder dovetail. I'm just trying to figure if any other model 'focus blocks' will accept my Interferometer tilt stage or even the condensers I'm currently using with my Optiphot Biological? If so I want to purchase another stand and cut it down so I can use my accessories on the cut down version. I realize there are Optiphots on eBay but I don't want a complete one, just the stand or focus block and was wondering if anything else will work to broaden my search.

Also, has anyone repaired the fine focus on a Optiphot specifically. If I find one I simply wanted to know if it's repairable.

Ichthyophthirius

Re: Nikon Biological Optiphot

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Smokedaddy wrote:Also, has anyone repaired the fine focus on a Optiphot specifically. If I find one I simply wanted to know if it's repairable.
It is possible IF the issue is merely a broken Nylon gear. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173160185324 This part is different from the gear in the Optiphot 2 (see same supplier).

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks, I knew about the pinion gear issue, I should of mentioned that, sorry. Are there any other focus issues that can't be fixed that you know of?

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

I haven't heard of any but that doesn't mean much. One opinion is that the Nylon gears protect the rest of the mechanics. The Nylon is the weakest link; it breaks first and thereby protects the other components from further damage.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic