VOIGTLANDER APO-LANTHAR 65MM F/2 Advice Needed Please

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

VOIGTLANDER APO-LANTHAR 65MM F/2 Advice Needed Please

Post by RobertOToole »

Last month I found an open-box APO-lanthar 65/2 at a distributor so I picked it up for a nice discount. :-)

So far I have only had time to put this page up with the CA test results, and plan to update the page sometime in May with sharpness tests.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/voigt ... lens-test/

Can you help by recommending a few lenses that would people be the most interesting in seeing this lens up against? 1,2,3 choices would be helpful.

I have a Sony A6300 but I could borrow a A7RII or A7RIII for the test. I have all the mount adapters already.

My local dealer in Torrance has offered to help with any mount needed.

The new Sigma 70mm Art lens would be the first choice but since this is not available yet, I have the old 70mm Sigma.

Canon 100mm IS L?

Sony FE 90mm OSS macro?

Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro Planar?

Tamron 90mm?

I have a mint Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro that I picked up for less than $50 that might be interesting to test against the APO-lanthar.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The old 125mm Apo-Lanthar, though it's rather long.

Good luck.
Whatever you find, you will have The PhARPs to please, as soon as you go there. These Photographers Achieving Refined Perception will denounce your tests unless you are able to show superior microcontrast, colour dimensionalilty, popping colors, depth separation, gradational clarity *, and a host of other attributes, all invisible to lower mortals - or those with unromanticized judgment.
Too many of the Pharps claiming to see and value these characterisics are some of the least credible indiviuals on the planet. The notion of using the same subject in exactly the same light, seems to be heretical.

However, I remain open to being convinced.

*I may have mis-remembered the adjectives or properties or put them in the wrong order. It actually doesn't matter, though the more correct combinations will be the ones least possible to measure objectively.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The standard Nikon 60mm G version is said to have very high resolution, though it is not apochromatic. It would make an interesting comparison. For some purposes (like scientific black-and-white photography using monochromatic light sources), CA problems go away, so a non-apo lens could still compete with an apo one.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ChrisR wrote:The old 125mm Apo-Lanthar, though it's rather long.
It would really be interesting to see the new 110 against the 65 and 125.

It seems that the 65 has less CAs but I am comparing 1:1 with the 125 and 1:2 with the 65 so its not really fair.

Thanks Chris.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:The standard Nikon 60mm G version is said to have very high resolution, though it is not apochromatic. It would make an interesting comparison. For some purposes (like scientific black-and-white photography using monochromatic light sources), CA problems go away, so a non-apo lens could still compete with an apo one.
60mm G Nikkor would be easy. Thanks Lou.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Robert,

What about the old Nikon 55/2.8 micro-Nikkor AIS. Mark over at Coin Photography shows it's pretty good.

Best,

Mike
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:Robert,

What about the old Nikon 55/2.8 micro-Nikkor AIS. Mark over at Coin Photography shows it's pretty good.

Best,

Mike
Thats a good one. Thanks. I had one or two of these years ago.

From experience the 55/2.8 was sharp in the center but there was some CAs, the vivitar 55 I have now is similar, sharp as heck but neon CAs and LoCAs.

Robert

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

The CoastalOpt (now Jenoptik) 60 mm Apo would be a natural choice for comparisons, within its native magnification range (up to 1:1.5).

It would make sense to test a Sony Alpha 7RII (or III, although I don't expect much, if any, difference) also with its matched Sony 90 mm macro.
--ES

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

FE90G please!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

enricosavazzi wrote:The CoastalOpt (now Jenoptik) 60 mm Apo would be a natural choice for comparisons, within its native magnification range (up to 1:1.5).

It would make sense to test a Sony Alpha 7RII (or III, although I don't expect much, if any, difference) also with its matched Sony 90 mm macro.
Thanks Enrico the 60/4 CO would be an interesting comparison, I have a feeling the APO-lanthar might be sharper but I would guess the CO would be better corrected.

The CO 60/4 is available for rent.

All the best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

JohnyM wrote:FE90G please!

Yes, I've been looking at that lens, the Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS.

Thanks.

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic