www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Peppercorns
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Peppercorns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonardturner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Peppercorns Reply with quote

The fruit of a vine of the Piperaceae family enjoyed by humans for many centuries (and said to have been once valued as much as gold), they contain an alkaloid which produces the relatively mild peppery signature (and may also be what causes sneezing). The different colors represent growth stages and/or preparations of the same vegetation.

Given time, they can develop a fungal visitor. Or is that a web?

Leonard
Joaquim F.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, great work, the textures are very well represented. About the origin of peppers, I think the green, black and white are from the same shrub, normally Piper nigrum although there are other varieties, but the red one with "smooth skin" is from the ripe fruit of a tree that is sometimes seen in urban parks, the Schinus molle, just as curious information Wink

Best

Joaquim
micro_pix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely photographed.
leonardturner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thanks to you both. Joaquim, special thanks for your comments on the red variety. I think that you are quite right in regards to the ones I showed (which I have heard can cross-react with individuals who have a nut allergy). Apparently there is much confusion, partly because there is also a red Piper nigrum--a mature berry that does not keep well; I have read that this is not imported into the US. Perhaps the useful distinction is the "smooth skin" you mentioned.

Best,

Leonard
Rudi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pictures Leonard.
I like nr 3 for the details and the nice separation between the seed and the blackground, especially in the lower left corner..and nr 4 for the details as well.
leonardturner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Rudi!

Leonard
Joaquim F.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonardturner wrote:
My thanks to you both. Joaquim, special thanks for your comments on the red variety. I think that you are quite right in regards to the ones I showed (which I have heard can cross-react with individuals who have a nut allergy). Apparently there is much confusion, partly because there is also a red Piper nigrum--a mature berry that does not keep well; I have read that this is not imported into the US. Perhaps the useful distinction is the "smooth skin" you mentioned.

Best,

Leonard

Looking at a pot of "five peppers" that I have in the kitchen it turns out that one of the included seeds is coriander, probably the white one that has lines marked in the form of meridians on the left side of the second photo, how many things that are not really pepper in the pepper pots! Smile

Best

Joaquim
leonardturner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up, Joaquim; I pulled down my bottle of "Organic Peppercorn Melange" and found in small print that it claimed "Whole black, white, green, and pink peppercorns". In even smaller print, it revealed the pink "peppercorns" to be Schinus terebinthifolia, a member of the nut family. The bright red smooth ones may be in part from another source entirely.Maybe its just as well that I don't know the details of what I've been eating all these years!

Leonard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: