Morpho blue car paint

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Morpho blue car paint

Post by ChrisR »

https://insights.globalspec.com/article ... red-before

The promotional video is worth a watch.
Chris R

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very interesting -- thanks for the link!

Direct link to the promotional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JU541_zm2w

I notice in particular what strikes me as a fascinating approach of manufacturing the color flakes by vacuum depositing thin film layers on plastic substrate, then stripping and grinding it to make a sprayable paint. I suppose that may be a standard approach for manufacturing glitter, but I've never thought about it.

I was struck by this odd quote, though:
Conventional automotive paints reflect only about 50 percent of light, yet structural blue reflects nearly 100 percent, according to the Society of Automotive Engineers.
I see no hint that this coating changes the wavelenght of light that hits it, so I guess "reflects nearly 100 percent" must mean that its reflectivity is essentially a bandpass with nearly 100% at the peak.

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow this is amazing. The paint contains no blue pigment!!!!! It is, as far as I know, the first true structural color paint. Not quite the degree of directionality as the color in a Morpho butterfly wing, but this is a great step in that direction.

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D Interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Surely a 'hot red' butterfly would go faster than a blue one.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

GaryB wrote:Surely a 'hot red' butterfly would go faster than a blue one.
Yes the Porsche Guards Red is faster than the Lexus Blue :D
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic