Canon Eos camera question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Choronzon

Canon Eos camera question

Post by Choronzon »

I own a Canon T3i apsc camera that I use for most of my microscopy photography. I realize this is now a fairly old model, but I'm happy with the resolution and ease of use. Naturally I always use live view and efcs. Is there a newer eos that shows better dynamic range or any improvement in sensor technology? The reason I'm asking is because I borrowed my daughters 5D mkII body this weekend and was really impressed with the sensor quality using a 2.5X direct projection.
The T3i apsc format is necessary for my Axiomat as the full frame camera shows the clipped image circle. I can only achieve parfocality between eyepieces and camera by directly projecting the image from the microscope's tube lens.
Last edited by Choronzon on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not young enough to know everything.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Do you want a folding screen? I find it of use though sometimes the image is the wrong way up!
Chris R

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Chris, it's a nice feature, but not a deal breaker as I always focus on the computer monitor, or laptop.

harisA

Post by harisA »

Theoretically a denser aps sensor will give you some advantage especially with lower power objectives (5x,10x) which require high pixel count sensors.Nowadays upper limit is 24mp for APS.I have no experience with EOS cameras and microscopy work (although a own a FF CANON body) but if I have to suggest a descent camera for microscopy this will be a Sony mirrorless like A6000.It is cheap (less than 400$ for the body) it has EFCS a 24mp sensor and is very light comparing with any DSLR.It is easy to focus with lcd screen and magnification/focus peaking aids.Also video capabilities and overall quality is astonishing for the price tag.Video is superior comparing with 5DIII(with Canon firmware-not magic lantern) in normal light conditions.

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Well, thanks for the advice. I do like the Sony products, especially the A7II, etc.
My first Canon full frame capture on my Axiophot Pol with the Canon 5D MKII, was very impressive for a jpeg right out of the camera. Plus I find the free software much better than most everything available. But for the Axiomat, I;m stuck with an APS sensor for coverage. Actually the old 1.3X format Canon might work, but as I understand it, they don't have efcs, so not really suitable. Here's the first jpg right out of the 5D MKII of a mineral thin section with Zeiss 25X Plan Neofluar 0.80 NA, which is probably the highest power objective that can utilize the large pixel count.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic