Four component microscope setup

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TravisH

Four component microscope setup

Post by TravisH »

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has created or used anything like the four component microscope set up on the link below. It has an objective, tube lens, extension tube and camera.

This is exactly what I am looking for with my CNC system, but after some more feedback on how people have found these sort of systems?

https://www.edmundoptics.com/resources/ ... ve-setups/

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, many of these sorts of systems are used by members of photomacrography.net, with excellent results.

Implementations of the architecture range from simply mounting an infinite objective in front of an ordinary 200 mm telephoto lens (when then plays the role of the tube lens), to systems with a wide variety of mechanics, using any of several different types of tubes and tube lenses.

When used with Mitutoyo M Plan objectives, this approach is considered one of our "gold standard" setups for high magnification imaging.

The system shown by Edmund Optics uses a small sensor C-mount camera. Here at photomacrography.net it is more common to use an APS-C sensor, with a few users going smaller to Micro Four-Thirds or larger to full frame (36x24 mm) or even bigger.

I wonder, have you perhaps overlooked our FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera?

--Rik

TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Thanks Rik,

I had forgotten about the FAQ, most appreciated.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Travis, while the four-compenent system you reference will almost certainly vignette on any sensor bigger than a C-mount camera, the seven-component system diagrammed below it on the same page will work nicely for APS-C and probably--with a few substitutions, with 36x24mm full frame.

However, for the seven-component system, I'd suggest some alterations. The "57mm of extension tubes for best image" is an unnecessary part--simply a mistake by someone who misread Mitutoyo's information, which is a bit confusing on this point. Where they show a choice between the MT-1 tube lens and the MT-2 tube lens, you want the MT-1. (Also, you could here substitute alternative optics from other vendors; these options have various pros and cons--a longer discussion.) The MT-1/MT-2 C-mount adaptor works well, and I use it. However, it is not inexpensive, and I have, sketched around here somewhere, ideas for eliminating it without detriment to the system. Be aware that the 190mm extension tube is the correct length only for C-mount cameras; cameras with other distances between their mount and sensor (aka "flange focal distance" or "register") will need other lengths of tube.

Also, a similar setup could be made from Thorlabs parts, which are a bit cheaper.

For an example of a setup very like the Edmund Optics seven-component plan, see my post The Bratcam gets a Mitutoyo tube lens. I've been using it for years and it performs superbly; but as Rik said, there are a number of very good alternatives.

--Chris S.

TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Thanks chris :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic