Focus stepping motor + camera trigger for microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Focus stepping motor + camera trigger for microscope

Post by zzffnn »

I may want a focus stepping motor and camera trigger for my Nikon Optiphot microscope.

I prefer a rig that does not have to rely on computer, if possible; Android smartphone control or self control would work much better.

Camera is a micro four thirds Olympus E-M10 II, used mostly with full electronic shutter, under reflected or transmitted light. Mostly continuous LED light.

On-sensor magnification is from 3x to 90x. So focus step size is about 10 micron to 0.5 or 1 micron per step, I am guessing.

Currently, my rig works well for manual stacking. But I think it would take a long time, if I stack at 4x under reflective light.

Please kindly let me know approximately how much I need to spend, brand and model names. That way, I can do my own research, if necessary. Right now, I am not sure what search term I should use.

I also like to know approximately how fast can the stepping motor per step and how much time is needed to damp vibration from the motor itself. My manual rig is stable enough, so I only need to worry about new vibrations.

Thank you very much.

For less than 3x on sensor, I use in-camera focus bracketing of my camera and do not need stepping motor or camera trigger.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

http://www.wemacro.com/?product=micromate

I have it, use it & love it.

Since the latest Android control software no more crashes, too.

Best regards,
Michael

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you very much, Michael.

That price is very attractive. Shipping is $47 USD to me, not cheap (making total to $206 in total), but still quite reasonable.

Judging from your stacked diatom images (which I assume were made with the MicroMate?), it worked very well!

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

All my latest stacks were made with the device.
I'm not the worst in dealing with steppers, arduino etc., but for that price I don't want to build all that environment that it offers.
It's basically a stepper and a shutter controlled by your phone. So you can also easily rip it off the stand and use it with the app for whatever nonsense comes into your mind ;).

Best regards,
Michael

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Michael,
Thanks for posting it, I'm seriously considering buying it, I planned to make an Arduino based system but it would be a long term project as I would need help of some busy friends, but at this price I can just hit the button
I see that they have a Windows control software, do you know how well it works?
I don't want to buy Helicon nor Stackshot + Zerene Pro and I much prefer the computer over the phone for studio work
Pau

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Michael,

Sorry, I forgot to ask. Have you verified that the MicroMate can step at 0.09 micron per step (for 200 micron per full turn of scope fine focus, or 0.045 micron/step for 100 micron per full turn of scope fine focus)?

That is one key attraction for me. Because by hand, I can only step at 0.5-1 micron per step. At NA of 0.95, we need about 0.6 micron per step, and about 0.33 micron/step for NA 1.3, based on 0.00055/(NA*NA).

WeMacro's Android Bluetooth control seems to work quite well on YouTube. Thank you for confirming that there is no app crashing now.

Thank you very much,
Fan
Last edited by zzffnn on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

I haven't tried out the windows software yet, so I cannot say anything about it, sorry!
I just ran a test, an on my BX, and I count 20 steps for 1 micron on the smallest increment, meaning it can do ~2000 steps a turn. My math tells me, that should be 0.05µm for 100µm/turn and 0.1 for 200µm/turn.
I usually step at 0.2µm per exposure for NA1.4 on my diatom images.

Best regards,
Michael

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks Michael

Do you control it via bluetooth and Android?
Pau

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Pau wrote: Do you control it via bluetooth and Android?
Exactly - earlier version of the app kept crashing while trying to connect, sometimes took me minutes to be able to start stacking (driving me nuts), but with the latest version, it's fine - no more crashes.

elf

Post by elf »

Pau wrote:Michael,
Thanks for posting it, I'm seriously considering buying it, I planned to make an Arduino based system but it would be a long term project as I would need help of some busy friends, but at this price I can just hit the button
I see that they have a Windows control software, do you know how well it works?
I don't want to buy Helicon nor Stackshot + Zerene Pro and I much prefer the computer over the phone for studio work
There's no reason you can't do both the computer and the phone. Bluetooth just looks like a serial port to the Arduino, so you can make the same calls into it over Bluetooth or USB. Visual Studio 2015 or later can compile for iPhone, Android, and Windows from the same codebase.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic