www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - StackShot Positioning
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
StackShot Positioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindaavitt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: StackShot Positioning Reply with quote

I have the basic 100-mm StackShot and will be using either a 100 mm macro lens or the ME-65 lens on a 5d mark iii. I'd be surprised if any of my subjects are ever over 2 cm deep.

With that setup, to minimize any sort of wobble or torque on the rails, is there an optimum area I should use? By that I mean, should I set up the stack in the middle of the rails? Towards either end? Does it matter?

Thanks!
Linda Cool
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, I haven't seen anything about that.
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine there's a bit of wobble coming from the motor end. So at the other end, the rails are held, and the source of the wobble is further away.

With the 100mm you could be using it for something like a flower, more than 2" deep, but yes, the field of view would change by about a third as well as perspective altering, so it's not ideal at all.
JOSE MIGUEL SOLA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And because you do not adapt the object to the rail and fix the machine that weighs more, the oscillations will be less noticeable?

¿Y porque no adaptas el objeto al carril y fijas la máquina que pesa mas, las oscilaciones se notaran menos?
mawyatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Chris I found that operating near the Stackshot rail end produced less wobble. Also, using Off Axis Loading helps reduce rail wobble and backlash.

Best,
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOSE MIGUEL SOLA wrote:
And because you do not adapt the object to the rail and fix the machine that weighs more, the oscillations will be less noticeable?

¿Y porque no adaptas el objeto al carril y fijas la máquina que pesa mas, las oscilaciones se notaran menos?

It's not really that, The wobble seems to come from the eccentricity in the screw thread.
No exactamente. La oscilacion parece ser debido a una excentricidad, en la rosca de tornillo. Quizas mi tornillo este doblado!
mawyatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
JOSE MIGUEL SOLA wrote:

It's not really that, The wobble seems to come from the eccentricity in the screw thread.
No exactamente. La oscilacion parece ser debido a una excentricidad, en la rosca de tornillo. Quizas mi tornillo este doblado!

And the very slight play in the rail bearings.

Moving to the near end of the focus rail reduces the screw thread wobble effects but not the bearing play wobble effect, the Off Axis Loading helps more with this.

Best,
Lindaavitt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I’m sure what you’re all saying. . . What exactly is off-axis loading (as it applies to the StackShot)?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie ignorance! You all are/have been so helpful!

Linda Cool
mawyatt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,

It's a technique to help with the focus rail wobble utilizing rubber bands pulling on the focus rail at an angle that off the optical axis. See:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32361&highlight=axis+loading

Best,
Lindaavitt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sure. I’ll try it.

Linda Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: