www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Bees and a Beetle
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bees and a Beetle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalantech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Bees and a Beetle Reply with quote

Posting these here because it's just not possible to get images like these without disturbing the critters at least a little. Sometimes I have to bait them to give 'em a reason to let me get close. All hand held, all single frames, and as a general rule I don't crop in post. The view finder can hone my composition skills, but the cropping tool can't Wink

Technique: I found this European Wool carder bee snoozing on a Lavender stalk before sunset and woke up early the next morning to photograph it before it warmed up and got active. I placed an artificial flower in the background to keep the background from being black. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200 with highlight tone priority) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (around 2x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on the Canon flash mount, E-TTL metering with -1 2/3 FEC).

European Carder Bee IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200 with highlight tone priority) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (5x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on the Canon flash mount, E-TTL metering with -1 2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

European Carder III by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Male of Megachile (Chalicodoma) parietina.

Technique: It was a cool day (18C) with partly cloudy skies and intermittent light showers -perfect weather to go looking for solitary bees since they'll have a tough time keeping their metabolism up. I got lucky and found this Mason bee semi-dormant in my Lavender.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (3x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on the Canon flash mount, E-TTL metering). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. I used an artificial flower to keep the background from being black.

Mason Bee VII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (around 2x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on the Canon flash mount, E-TTL metering).

Mason Bee IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Technique: I found this Chafer beetle feeding early in the day and it didn't seem to mind me getting close. I held on to the flower's stem with my left index finger and thumb, and then rested the lens on that same hand to keep the scene steady.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200 with highlight tone priority) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (over 2x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on the Canon flash mount, E-TTL metering with -1 2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Feeding Chafer Beetle by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I plan on doing some limited stacking this year, probably no more than five or six frames. Got a few compositions stuck in my head that I just can't get into the camera no matter how much I stop the lens down. Going to see if I can use a Helicon FB extension tube to take stacks of scenes like this one:

Feeding Honeybee VIII by John Kimbler, on Flickr
tevans9129

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing images!!
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine shots!
How rapidly can you fire using the Helicon FB?
Dalantech

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tevans9129 wrote:
Amazing images!!

Thanks!

ChrisR wrote:
Fine shots!
How rapidly can you fire using the Helicon FB?

I think as fast as the flash can recycle Chris. At F11 and ISO 200 the MT-26 can keep up with the shutter, at least for a few frames. I plan on shooting at F8, so that should help.
nanometer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are awesome. A lot can be done with single images as you show!
Dalantech

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanometer wrote:
These are awesome. A lot can be done with single images as you show!

Thanks!

Indeed, and like any technique anyone can do it. Just takes practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: