Getting started

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nanometer

Getting started

Post by nanometer »

I've decided to take a foray into the macro world. Until now, it's been transmitted fun with my Diavert.

I've kludged this together to get a feel for things. I bought a gutted Ortholux II stand. I fully intended to cut the top and center the 3030 beam over the table, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut the stand, so I clamped the beam to the top at the end. I'm using my Minolta 80-200 APO as a tube lens for now. I'm still working on lighting, but for now am using a dual Dolan Jenner gooseneck.I attach the lens foot to the beam with an arca swiss.

what I like:
1. it was quick to come together and quite stable as working at 20x seems pretty easy.

2. The microscope focusing block works very well.

3. Having an integrated xy table is really helpful.

4. The Minolta APO and Mity 20x seem to like each other.

5. The first curtain electronic shutter on the A99 is really nice (as it has been on the Diavert).

what I don't like:

1. I would rather have the beam centered over the table, but this isn't causing any real problems yet.

2. I've ordered a large xy table, as my extension plate has to attach to the scale bar which was just designed for moving the slide holder and it's the weak spot here suffering from too much play and looseness in that axis.

3. The attachment weak spot is the foot collar going around the lens as it has some play in it.

4. The dolan jenner source fan needs to be mounted on the wall as it excites the lens collar slop.

I haven't started stacking yet. I have a WeMacro MicroMate to try out for this. I looks quite well built.

My first shot was of a diatom slide (with cover slip) with a flash lighting the slide directly from the side. Not too bad.

I've also bought a THK KR20 slide (1mm lead) on ebay as I want to play around with a horizontal setup too. That is a very nice slide.

It's amazing what a time sync even this simple setup has been!

Steve

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Making more progress.

I got the gooseneck power supply off the table so it doesn't vibrate the rig.

I've attached the Wemacro microMate to the fine focus knob, and it sure is nice to get automated stacking now!

I bought a KD-200 LED ring light. I pulled the top off a flash diffuser I had. I can either set the ring light on top of the diffuser (shown) or set the diffuser on top of the ring light pointing up. I can also light the diffuser with the FO lights.

Here is a 20x stack of peacock feathers (300 um range with 6um steps):

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

The images look great to me. I would love to motorize my fine focus knob on my MM-11. Hopefully someday.

-JW:

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Very nice setup & feather image, like the WeMacro focusing fixture.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Thanks James and Mike.

James--I think this is one of the feathers that you gave Mike :) The MM-11 setups I've seen look very practical.

Mike -- I like the wemacro setup. I have only controlled it with his Android app which I find very convenient as opposed to trying to get a laptop on an already overcrowded table. The software is workable but a little rough around the edges. There are a couple of simple features I'd like to see added just to make setup more convenient. You certainly get plenty of resolution with over 2000 steps per revolution of the fine knob (which itself is 100 um). Far better than stacking by hand. Now I can do something else while the work is being done :)

The ortholux II focusing block is nice as the fine and coarse knobs rotate independent of each other and the fine knob can run the entire range of the block. My Diavert's fine knob only rotates 2 revolutions and then it starts driving the coarse knob.

I got the mitty objectives at a great price. Lightglass optics currently have a bunch of brand new mitty 5x at 60% off and then I got the 20x on ebay for $400. I compared this used 20x to a well-cared for one that I borrowed and can see no difference from center to edge (using an MTF target).

Steve

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Steve,

Agree the WeMacro software is just barely adequate, and could use some upgrade. Considering how good the hardware is and the Bluetooth RF wireless, the software is the limiting factor. I've pinged William at WeMacro on this a number of times in the past.

Best,

Mike
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi

Can the Wemacro hardware (inc control and cabling) be used with any other software?

BR

John

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

dolmadis wrote:Hi

Can the Wemacro hardware (inc control and cabling) be used with any other software?

BR

John
John,

If you make a special custom cable the WeMacro focus rail can be operated with the Stackshot controller and software, and even under Zerene control.

You can use the WeMacro controller and software to operate a modified THK KR20 focus rail with another special custom cable, or use the Stackshot controller and software to control the THK KR20. You can even run MJKZZ focus rails with the WeMacro or Stackshot controllers/software also.

I've done all these combinations, so know they work. You have to have the proper stepper motors, custom interface cables and right software parameters. The THK KR20 is a very precise focus rail when modified and interfaced properly, this is a surplus precision linear rail adapted for focus rail use.

Best,
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic