Recommendations for bellows lens 00-1x?

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JohnyM

Recommendations for bellows lens 00-1x?

Post by JohnyM »

Hello!
As in topic, im looking for recommendadions for bellows lens that covers FF in range of 00-1x. Magnifications im using mostly is 0,1-0,5x. Would like it to be good at F4.

Pentax Auto Bellows. Sony A7RII. Im looking for manual aperture replacement for 100mm Macro for rear bellows stacking.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

How skinny are your bellows at minimum?
An enlarger lens is an obvious contender, though they need stopping down a bit more than f/4.
I can't think of one which stands out as going to infinity well!
Chris R

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The classic lens for this exact purpose is the Nikon 105mm. The older 135mm also works well but does require quite a long bellows extension for 1x.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Thanks for input. Technically bellows could be "zero" as i can mount them to mirorless via custom adapter which takes only few milimeters.
Perhaps i should rephraze:

-I dont need real infinity, but i often shoot 10-20 frames at ~0,1x so this is what im aiming for.

-Im using 100mm macro as a workhorse, which works fine for 0,5x-1x but with 0,1x-0,5x im getting an ugly perspective change which forces lots of retouching.

-Due to amount of work, i must have motorized system (manual focusing by ring is out of the question).

-I prefere continous light for modelling and eaze of use which allow for EA8 (which happens to be around diffraction limit).

-I would like to get manual aperture lens, as it seems that stopping down (SAL100mm macro) causes vibrations.

So basically i want to get rid of some retouching and speed up aquisition process.

What i have in mind is:
- Focus by bellows rear
- Using longer lens / teleconverter - im not sure if it will help at all?
- Mounting subject on the rail, instead of the camera.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Olympus (80mm or)135mm would be easier to find than the Nikon. Aperture smaller than you want, though. Same problem wit hthe Rodagon/Schneider Apo Macro or Enlarging lenses.

Longer lens would help reduce perspective changes, but moving the subject instead of the camera wouldn't. As you say, rear standard focus is the only way to avoid persective change. Unless you cobble together a telecentric arrangement but the glass has to be bigger than the subject for that.
it seems that stopping down (SAL100mm macro) causes vibrations.
I've wondered about that with the Canon MP-E too! "SAL"?

Hmm
Chris R

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Olympus, like macro F4?
I'll try some stacks with 200, 300 and 400 and see if this will be an improvement in my work. Tho not sure how to mount them to rail yet... also gonna need to find where my extension tubes are...

SAL100 stands for sony / minolta 100mm F2.8 macro. I've noticed that i need to increase shutter speed along with stoping down the aperture to get sharp images. So pretty much everytime i stop down by 1 stop, im loosing 2 stops of light.

99% cases im using Mp-e65 wide open, so havent noticed any issues.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic