Cognisys Stackshot and MP-E65 Alignment adaptor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JasonC

Cognisys Stackshot and MP-E65 Alignment adaptor

Post by JasonC »

I do a fair bit of stacking using an MP-E65 lens and the Cognisys stackshot, however one problem I get is trying to align the lens with the Stackshot which is very important when stacking. See this article here by Peter Lin which explains the problem in more depth - https://pylin.com/2017/10/15/analysis-o ... -stacking/

The problem is that the lens (via its ring) just attaches to a flat plate on the Stackshot so, I have designed an adaptor to fix this problem which ensures the lens is attached perfectly square everytime. This adaptor is 3D printable and I have made it available for free download here if you want to use it yourself. If you don't have a 3d printer please PM me.

More pictures here

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That looks very neat, I'll be in touch!
Chris R

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Jason,

Very useful adapter, alignment is a constant problem when stacking for me. I am always in a struggle to get the ARCA adapters orthogonal to the optical axis and the camera plate aligned. Over time they tend to loosen up and lose alignment further aggravating the problem!!

The Canon MP-E 65 is a nice lens, but Nikon (I use Nikon bodies) has no equivalent, although Laowa has a new Macro that may prove useful.

Your 3D printing work is nice, like this adapter and your fixture previously mentioned.

Best,

Mike
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

JasonC

Post by JasonC »

mawyatt wrote:Jason,

Very useful adapter, alignment is a constant problem when stacking for me. I am always in a struggle to get the ARCA adapters orthogonal to the optical axis and the camera plate aligned. Over time they tend to loosen up and lose alignment further aggravating the problem!!

The Canon MP-E 65 is a nice lens, but Nikon (I use Nikon bodies) has no equivalent, although Laowa has a new Macro that may prove useful.

Your 3D printing work is nice, like this adapter and your fixture previously mentioned.

Best,

Mike
Thanks. Well if you need one making let me know, I would just need a few measurements.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... out of curiosity how do you determine/verify that the sensor is parallel with a flat specimen? Let's say like a coin or semiconductor die/chip.

JasonC

Post by JasonC »

Smokedaddy wrote:... out of curiosity how do you determine/verify that the sensor is parallel with a flat specimen? Let's say like a coin or semiconductor die/chip.
Yeah that's quite tricky as well, although not so important if you are stacking because each corner would be in focus anyway.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

JasonC wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote:... out of curiosity how do you determine/verify that the sensor is parallel with a flat specimen? Let's say like a coin or semiconductor die/chip.
Yeah that's quite tricky as well, although not so important if you are stacking because each corner would be in focus anyway.
Just something I don't understand how to accomplish this quickly. With my setup, not a automated rail, it's important. Mainly because I don't have to take as many pictures if the sensor and specimen (say a semiconductor wafer) are parallel with each other. My setup is adjustable in every axis.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

If your stacking with Zerene you can look at the log and see how much correction in needed when stacking the images.

I recall Peter at MJKZZ shot the tip of a fine needle and you could see the deviation from the axis, also some folks have used dust on the sensor to help track how well the alignment is.

Would be nice to have a super fine adjustment you could tweak for alignment, but I haven't seen this before.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Smokedaddy wrote:
JasonC wrote:
Just something I don't understand how to accomplish this quickly. With my setup, not a automated rail, it's important. Mainly because I don't have to take as many pictures if the sensor and specimen (say a semiconductor wafer) are parallel with each other. My setup is adjustable in every axis.
If you took just two pictures, one slightly closer than the other but both with stuff in focus, and watch DMap stacking those two, you'd see which part of which frame was used. Use to guide which way to tilt the specimen. Any help?
Chris R

JasonC

Post by JasonC »

The only other way is to make something that would give you perfect alignment like I have done with this bracket, but obviously at the lens end.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic