Introducing myself: Bee collecting water

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

IvanG

Introducing myself: Bee collecting water

Post by IvanG »

Hello everyone. I'm a new member of this community and would like to introduce myself by first saying how amazed I am at the great work and depth of useful information contained in this site. I've been a professional photographer for 30 years+, but macro photography is still a relatively recent area for me and I'm looking to continue learning. It was in that search for knowledge that I came upon this site, so I want to thank everyone here for helping me further that area of my photography.

I think it's proper I should include one of my pictures here, open of course to comment and criticism.

This image was taken during a spell of very hot days here in the Yucatan Peninsula, bees were specially busy collecting water so I was keen to take advantage of the ensuing photo opportunities.

EXIF: Nikon D800E, Micro-Nikkor 200mm/f4, 1/250 - f/18, ISO 500. External flash in soft-box.

tevans9129

Post by tevans9129 »

Excellent image Ivan and welcome to the group, a very knowledgeable group here and willing to help us that need it.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ivan, welcome aboard!

Your introductory image is great! I'm pretty sure that it raises the bar for future first-timers. :D

Based on highlights in the eye and the water drops, I'm thinking that the illumination is with dual strobes, not hidden behind large diffusers. Good control of specular reflections, despite the rather small size of the lights.

I particularly like that the bee's tongue is visible extending into the water drop, and that we can also see a reflection of the bee in the water underneath. Without that reflection, I suspect that the water would not be recognizable as such.

I'm curious... How many frames did you shoot of this general scene, to get this one so excellent?

--Rik

IvanG

Post by IvanG »

tevans9129 wrote:Excellent image Ivan and welcome to the group, a very knowledgeable group here and willing to help us that need it.
Thank you so much tevans912, I appreciate it. :)

IvanG

Post by IvanG »

rjlittlefield wrote:Ivan, welcome aboard!

Your introductory image is great! I'm pretty sure that it raises the bar for future first-timers. :D

Based on highlights in the eye and the water drops, I'm thinking that the illumination is with dual strobes, not hidden behind large diffusers. Good control of specular reflections, despite the rather small size of the lights.

I particularly like that the bee's tongue is visible extending into the water drop, and that we can also see a reflection of the bee in the water underneath. Without that reflection, I suspect that the water would not be recognizable as such.

I'm curious... How many frames did you shoot of this general scene, to get this one so excellent?

--Rik
Thanks so much Rik, you're very kind!

Your observation on the lights are generally correct. To be more specific: I used one strobe with a small soft-box off to the right side as key light, plus one bare strobe through a snoot off to the left for a crossing backlight to help bring out more detail (I believe that's the culprit for the harsher highlights on the legs and on the blurry wing of the bee). The water was murky and dark, you're right, the bee's reflection actually shows that it is water.

I just went back to LightRoom to check: I shot 460 frames over the course of 5 hours. It kind of surprised me to see I spent so much time shooting this scene, I do tend to become engrossed in this kind of work. I pared that down to 80 "usable" images, mostly bees drinking directly from the water from the edge of the leaves. Among those were only two shots of the bee going straight into a drop of water, this is the better one.

Again, thanks.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It's often said that the difference between a good photographer and a great one is that the great one throws away most of his or her images.

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Hello and Welcome Ivan,

You are indeed right, there are many great photographers here with equally great work.

As a novice photographer in the world of macro photography, I have learned a lot from this forum.

Lastly beautiful shot.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Raza

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I shot 460 frames over the course of 5 hours. It kind of surprised me to see I spent so much time shooting this scene, I do tend to become engrossed in this kind of work.
Time flies when you're having fun! As I work the numbers, that averages out to about 40 seconds per image. That seems pretty measured and methodical. The key thing is that you kept at it for so long. A great example!

--Rik

Olympusman

Bee

Post by Olympusman »

Very nice shot.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Troels

Post by Troels »

A beautiful picture of an animal actally doing something in its environment.
I generally like this kind of pictures containing a story. But this is nice above normal, especially for a non-stacked shot.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

IvanG

thank you

Post by IvanG »

Thank you Raza.
Just last night I couldn't go to sleep, my eyes glued to the screen, looking at so much great photography that's been posted here. Plus all those incredible rigs for focus stacking and microscope lenses and such!
So, like you said, there's much to be learned from all the talented photographers gathered in this site. :smt023

IvanG

Re: Bee

Post by IvanG »

Olympusman wrote:Very nice shot.

Mike
Thank you Mike! Dare I say, totally off topic, that I went to junior high for one year, ages ago, in your town, Bethlehem, Pa.? Fond memories! :-)

IvanG

Post by IvanG »

rjlittlefield wrote:
That seems pretty measured and methodical. The key thing is that you kept at it for so long.
--Rik
I'm sure there's a healthy dose of that in so much of the work on this site, otherwise, how could one explain it? ;-)

IvanG

Post by IvanG »

Troels wrote:I generally like this kind of pictures containing a story. But this is nice above normal, especially for a non-stacked shot.
Thank you very much Troels. I too am partial to behavior shots, which makes me feel specially amazed at some of the work shown here using the stacking technique with live specimens... something I very much hope to learn how to do... but I can't fathom how, with subjects that move so fast!

IvanG

Post by IvanG »

Lou Jost wrote:It's often said that the difference between a good photographer and a great one is that the great one throws away most of his or her images.
Thank you Lou. I subscribe to that and strive to be merciless when it comes to editing my work. By the way, great stuff on your blog, looks like a really amazing place in Ecuador!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic