www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - How about lighting?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How about lighting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ella29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: How about lighting? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I ask advice from the grandfathers of this craft.

Do you think it's permissible to use ring flashes in evening shoots? I want to buy such tool, but I do not know what exactly I need, if more often than not I am engaged in portrait photography, I prefer the studio one. I found an article that describes in detail what features to compare choosing ring lights?. For example, fluorescent lamps provide a minor green shade whereas LED lamps add a bit of pink one. I want to make sure that I made the right choice. Which are better at work and more often used?
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ella. This forum is really only about macro photography, for portraiture there are plenty of better forums.
Ring lights aren't used much in close-up or macro photography, unless you want a really flat light, with any reflective surfaces likely to show small images of the ring.
ray_parkhurst

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ella...you may have heard advice from folks that "ringlights are great for macro" or something similar, but the general advice you'll get from this forum (as Chris R says) is that ringlights are not actually the best lighting method for macro. It's true that ringlights provide very broad coverage that minimizes shadows, but that creates an "unnatural" look. A better approach is to use two individual lights that are diffused to make them look "bigger" and thus minimize hotspots. There are many options to achieve this.
Jan Steinman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How about lighting? Reply with quote

I would not consider fluorescent or LED. Get a strobe ring flash.

There are numerous third-party ones intended for macro. They come from China, and are pretty cheap. Find them on evilBay.

There are big, powerful expensive ones that are used for studio photography. I think the best for portraiture would be the Profoto line, as you can get a special reflector that makes the light source much bigger, in other words, lower contrast. These will be $500 up for used ones, without the power pack.

Ring flash gets a bad rap for macro because it is typically high-contrast light, being a physically small light source. I realize I'm an outlier on this forum, but I'm a big fan of ring flash for macro, but only ones that can be extended via reflectors or diffusers so that they produce low-contrast light.

Here is an example of a conversion of my most beloved ring flash (Olympus T-8, for the OM 35mm film system cameras) so that it will do TTL flash control on modern digital cameras: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/converted-olympus-t-10-and-t-8-ring-flashes.92166/#post-1026296
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: