Zerene LR-plugin

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

Zerene LR-plugin

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everyone,
Till now I have converted the RAW-files into the TIFF by the Canon Digital Photo Professional 4.
But now I would like to use the Zerene LR-plugin and convert the RAW-files by the CameraRAW (integrated in LR).
In DPP4 I usually set all sharpening-settings to the 0 and noise reduction luminace to 10.

But how to prepare the RAW-files in LR in order to get the best results in Zerene?
What is recommended?

Detail -> Reset Sharpening -> Amount = ?
Detail -> Reset Sharpening -> Radius = ?
Detail -> Reset Sharpening -> Detail = ?
Detail -> Reset Sharpening -> Masking = ?

Detail -> Reset Noise Reduction -> Luminance = ?
Detail -> Reset Noise Reduction -> Detail = ?
Detail -> Reset Noise Reduction -> Contrast = ?
Detail -> Reset Noise Reduction -> Color = ?
Detail -> Reset Noise Reduction -> Detail = ?
Detail -> Reset Noise Reduction -> Smoothness = ?

Does it make any sense to use: "Remove Chromatic Aberration" ?

BTW, the settings of the export to the Zerene: TIFF 16 bit, not compressed, sRGB

BR, ADi

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In general, my recommendation is to make the images that get sent to Zerene Stacker look as much as possible like what you want for a final result. The one exception that it's a good idea to leave the contrast a little low to provide room for contrast increase by PMax. You may also want to use a little less sharpening and noise reduction than for the final. If you overdo those, then when you realize the mistake you'll have to repeat all the processing to fix it.

As for specific numbers, unfortunately those can vary over a wide range depending at least on the optics that you're using, the camera model and camera settings, and the nature of the subject.

Regarding "Remove Chromatic Aberration", I think it does make sense to select that, but I'm not aware of any specific test of that idea. The one concern I have is that, unless you're using a precalibrated correction, LR will have to do its removal based on image contents, and when most of a frame is way out of focus, it may not be able to do a good job of that. As so often happens, my best recommendation has to be "try it and see".

--Rik

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Rik,
“ If you overdo those, then when you realize the mistake you'll have to repeat all the processing to fix it.”
Yes, therefore I would like to avoid this case :-)

So, my idea is to minimize the sharpening and set the luminance (of the noise-reduction) to 10 (till 50 for high magnification).

BR, ADi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic