View finder laser for subject location

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tevans9129

View finder laser for subject location

Post by tevans9129 »

Someone asked if I would start a thread with some details on my laser fixture, the idea that came from Chris S. I used components that were on hand including the laser which needs to be replaced as it is the line version. It works but a cross or a dot would be better. The mass of the top piece could be reduced but it seems to work as is so doubt if I ever get around to modifying it. I do need to replace the laser though.

If you have, or know someone that has access to a lathe and mill, it is a simple process to fabricate.

If you have any questions or would like more details, please let me know. Thanks again to Chris S for posting images of his, plus a part-by-part recipe.

Laser, not battery, have no idea where that came from.

The battery box is glued on with hot glue. Once I replace with 3 AAA batteries I will shorten the length of the wires.

[Edit AdminCR to clarify which Chris]

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

tevans,

Nice work. Thanks for posting, wish I had access to the proper tools to make one :cry:

Best & Happy Holidays,

Mike

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Very nicely built. Thanks for posting.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Tevans,

Very nice! :D If you don't mind, I'll add a links between our threads on sighting lasers, so that folks can easily see both implentations. Mine is found at: Laser aiming and focus in photomacrography
mawyatt wrote:. . .wish I had access to the proper tools to make one :cry:
Mike, if you don't have a metal lathe (neither do I), consider my parts list, above--only a hacksaw required. (Though if one has a lathe, teven's approach is elegant!)

Edit to add: tevans, have you seen that eBay has replacement lenses for many lasers? One of these, rather than sourcing a new laser with the same diameter as the one you have, may be all you need to go from a line shape to a dot or cross.

--Chris S.

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Hi;

Very nice work.
But I think a plastic or polymer version will be lighter, more appropriate, better and easy producable..

May be someone can draw a 3D model and everyone can easily print and use it.

That's just my idea.

I am very interested on this toppic but I have no skills on 3D modeling.
Regards.
Omer

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Chris S. wrote:Tevans,

Very nice! :D If you don't mind, I'll add a links between our threads on sighting lasers, so that folks can easily see both implentations. Mine is found at: Laser aiming and focus in photomacrography
Mike, if you don't have a metal lathe (neither do I), consider my parts list, above--only a hacksaw required. (Though if one has a lathe, teven's approach is elegant!)

Edit to add: tevans, have you seen that eBay has replacement lenses for many lasers? One of these, rather than sourcing a new laser with the same diameter as the one you have, may be all you need to go from a line shape to a dot or cross.

--Chris S.
Chris,

The Nikons I have (D800, D800E, D500 & D850) all have a circular mounts for the viewfinder, so I need to have something different than your very clever solution.
The hot shoe use seems like a good idea for these bodies (think OP has a D800E as well), although this does cause an issue since I use the hot shoe for a strobe trigger transmitter. So I would need to remove the laser and install the Strobe trigger after initial alignment.

Best & Happy Holidays,

Mike

tevans9129

Post by tevans9129 »

Chris S. wrote:Very nice! :D If you don't mind, I'll add a links between our threads on sighting lasers, so that folks can easily see both implementations. Mine is found at: Laser aiming and focus in photomacrography

Good idea Chris.
Chris S. wrote: Mike, if you don't have a metal lathe (neither do I), consider my parts list, above--only a hacksaw required. (Though if one has a lathe, teven's approach is elegant!)

Your example does the job just as well but since I enjoy tinkering with the lathe and mill and I had the stock laying around it was fun to do.
Chris S. wrote: Edit to add: tevans, have you seen that eBay has replacement lenses for many lasers? One of these, rather than sourcing a new laser with the same diameter as the one you have, may be all you need to go from a line shape to a dot or cross.[

--Chris S.
I looked for those Chris but apparently not with the correct search words as I was not successful. Unless the shipping is free, they would likely cost as much as the complete laser which are advertised with free shipping.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

The 3D plastic version would be nice. Maybe we can pool our $ together and have someone with access to a 3D printer make a few?

Best & Happy Holidays,

Mike

tevans9129

Post by tevans9129 »

mawyatt wrote: The Nikons I have (D800, D800E, D500 & D850) …

Oh my, sounds like one of those rich capitalist to me. :D

The D850 should be awesome for macro shots, I would think.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

tevans9129 wrote:
mawyatt wrote: The Nikons I have (D800, D800E, D500 & D850) …

Oh my, sounds like one of those rich capitalist to me. :D

The D850 should be awesome for macro shots, I would think.
I wish :lol:

I've had the D800 since they came out, it broke during a fall along with my 24-70 which was attached. sent back to Nikon for repair and sure enough I had a chip image that needed to be completed, so I ordered the D800E while waiting for the D800 to get fixed.

Got the D500 when it came out for DX sensor use with electronic shutter, same with the D850 (46MP and electronic shutter). I haven't done much macro with the D850 yet, but hope to soon when I get some time.

I need to get a few preliminary chip images of some InP chips I've designed done before I can seriously play around with the D850, but soon hopefully. These chips are very small, just completed my first try. The chip is completely dwarfed by the smallest pin head I could find (1.5mm diameter). I mount the chips onto pin heads with tack glue. Then clamp the pins with a subject holding device form WeMacro which has 1/4-20 threads which mate to my XYZ positioning fixture.

Best,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic