Birds nest fungus

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ztt74

Birds nest fungus

Post by ztt74 »

After lurking for a while, and using the fantastic advice available on these forums to get started, thought I'd share one of my early efforts..

Birds nest fungus
150 images, 45 uM steps (WeMacro rail)
$17 AmScope 4X Plan. Dropped the recommended tube length down from 160 to 100mm (only way to fit the whole nest in one image without stitching together multiple images!).
Processed in Zerene - PMax default settings.
PP in Lightroom

Jon

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Jon,

Thanks for posting. A fine subject. Looks a bit lika a plate of cookies left for Santa!

Since this is your first post may I ask for some of the particulars of this image? Exposure of the images (shutter speed, shutter mode etc). Also info on the lighting (continuous, flash, LED, diffusers etc.) That allows us to understand more of your technique. And a photo of your setup is of course of interest to all of us...

Glad to have you posting!

Keith

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt041 Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Nice One.

ztt74

Post by ztt74 »

thank you all for the kind feedback.
sorry about forgetting the important details.
iso 100
1/40 sec exposures, shutter lockup.
lighting is with ikea jansjo leds. using ping pong balls as diffusers. I find getting the lighting right by far the most tricky part.

a picture of my setup..

jon

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Jon,

Thanks for sharing your setup and exposure info. You have a solid looking rig.

Several years ago I measured the vibration on my camera from mirror motion and shutter motion. At that time I used a Pentax K100 or a Pentax ist D*. Both were rather noisy with lots of shutter vibration.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... =cartridge

I also did some experiments to see if the shutter induced vibration influenced image sharpness. It certainly did.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... =cartridge

I am not sure what camera you use. Modern camera bodies have much less violent shutter motion that is well damped compared to the old Pentax ist D* that I tested. My recent Pentax cameras (K5, K3, K01 mirrorless) are much gentler for sure, but it might be a good idea to test image sharpness with exposures longer than 1/40 th of a second. The longer exposure allows the bulk of the exposure to occur after the shutter shake has damped out. This can be easily tested. It is particularly important when you increase your magnification.

Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Keith

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Fellow Wemacroer!

Like the feel of the image. as said up, looks like cookies.

The Janso which is to the camera left and has a straw type attachment, is it working like a snoot?

I am having hard time to fix the ping pong balls on a convex style. curve inside and the cut towards the out.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Jon,

Nice image and setup. I noted the XY precision positioning fixture for the subject. Awhile ago I ordered a rotational fixture to mount on the XY fixture, looks similar to what you've done. How is this working for you?

Best,

Mike

ztt74

Post by ztt74 »

Thanks Keith for that advice, I will compare how altering the duration of the shutter changes vibration. I have some higher mag objectives (> 10x) on order right now, so hopefully this will be useful when I come to use them.

anvancy, I posted a detailed description of the "snoot" modification (i like the name!) over here for you...
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=36119

Mike, I bought the XY stage from WeMacro when i bought the rail. By itself, it was very helpful, but I found the Z positioning to be quite tricky.
I got this ZR stage from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZR-Axis ... 33442.html
I chose it because it is the same dimension as the XY stage and the screw holes are in compatible positions, allowing it to be securely fixed down.

This set up is very useful for positioning - I use the R less than I use the Z, but both have changed the process into a much more enjoyable and less frustrating experience.

I'm still looking round for a flat surface to screw onto the the top of the R stage, so that I can use the plasticine lump that holds the crocodile clip in place without getting bits of plasticine in the screw holes of the stage. At the moment I have settled for a disk of metal cut out of a canning jar lid.
Cheers,
Jon

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Jon,

Thanks, the rotary part is pretty much what I have from eBay. Don't need the Z axis as I use this on a WeMacro Vertical Stand and the focus rail gives the Z axis movement.

Very nice setup!! The AmScope 4X fine objective is performing well for you, I've found it even gives good coverage on a full frame sensor.

Best and Happy Holidays,

Mike

ztt74

Post by ztt74 »

Thanks Mike, the AmScope is a great entry level objective - I have no complaints with it.

Happy Holidays back at you,
Jon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic