www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Equipment recommendations
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Equipment recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RubberDucky4444

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Equipment recommendations Reply with quote

Hello all

I have been getting more and more into macro. I used manual focus rails and recently upgraded to the StackShot macro rail.

My current set up is: Nikon D810 with Kenko extension tubes and a 60m 2.8 on the StackShot rail on a Manfrotto 410 geared head on a manfrotto tripod (cant remember the model of the tripod legs). I put the object I am photographing inside of a lighted Lightbox but I think it would be better if I used a flash or strobes. I have never really played with flash other than the Nikon Speedlight SB-700 that I use for work.

People on another forum recommended Flashpoint 300 for me to use however upon looking at the product it seems to use the Nikon 10 pin connection and that port is already being used by the StackShot.

So can somebody recommend a good Flash or pair of flash I can use to freeze the object for focus stacking?
tevans9129

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Equipment recommendations Reply with quote

RubberDucky4444 wrote:
Hello all

I have been getting more and more into macro. I used manual focus rails and recently upgraded to the StackShot macro rail.

My current set up is: Nikon D810 with Kenko extension tubes and a 60m 2.8 on the StackShot rail on a Manfrotto 410 geared head on a manfrotto tripod (cant remember the model of the tripod legs). I put the object I am photographing inside of a lighted Lightbox but I think it would be better if I used a flash or strobes. I have never really played with flash other than the Nikon Speedlight SB-700 that I use for work.

People on another forum recommended Flashpoint 300 for me to use however upon looking at the product it seems to use the Nikon 10 pin connection and that port is already being used by the StackShot.

So can somebody recommend a good Flash or pair of flash I can use to freeze the object for focus stacking?

If you are thinking of the sync cable for the FP 300, that goes into a different port than the 10 pin for the stackshot controller. The sync port is just above the 10 pin port on the 810. I just recently got a pair of the 300's and IMO they are quite superior to speedlights for a desktop setup. Good luck.
RubberDucky4444

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was looking at the remote trigger that I would use with it. Flashpoint R2 i-TTL Wireless 2.4 G Flash Remote Trigger Transmitter and Receiver for Nikon (X1-N) I am looking at images online and it looks like the 10 pin
mawyatt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide on the Adorama Studio 300 AC, then you just need the R2 or R2 Pro RF Remote Transmitter, it sits on the D810 hot shoe, no wires. The Studio 300 AC Strobes have a built in receiver that works with the R2 or R2 Pro RF remote, no wires.
tevans9129

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberDucky4444 wrote:
Sorry I was looking at the remote trigger that I would use with it. Flashpoint R2 i-TTL Wireless 2.4 G Flash Remote Trigger Transmitter and Receiver for Nikon (X1-N) I am looking at images online and it looks like the 10 pin

I have the D810 and the Studio 300 strobes and before I got the Xpro trigger, I used the sync cable from the D810 to one of the strobes while the 810 was also connected to the Stackshot from the 10 pin jack. The wireless remote trigger does not require any cable from the camera. My apologies if I have misunderstood what you have written.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: