Equipment recommendations

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RubberDucky4444

Equipment recommendations

Post by RubberDucky4444 »

Hello all

I have been getting more and more into macro. I used manual focus rails and recently upgraded to the StackShot macro rail.

My current set up is: Nikon D810 with Kenko extension tubes and a 60m 2.8 on the StackShot rail on a Manfrotto 410 geared head on a manfrotto tripod (cant remember the model of the tripod legs). I put the object I am photographing inside of a lighted Lightbox but I think it would be better if I used a flash or strobes. I have never really played with flash other than the Nikon Speedlight SB-700 that I use for work.

People on another forum recommended Flashpoint 300 for me to use however upon looking at the product it seems to use the Nikon 10 pin connection and that port is already being used by the StackShot.

So can somebody recommend a good Flash or pair of flash I can use to freeze the object for focus stacking?

tevans9129

Re: Equipment recommendations

Post by tevans9129 »

RubberDucky4444 wrote:Hello all

I have been getting more and more into macro. I used manual focus rails and recently upgraded to the StackShot macro rail.

My current set up is: Nikon D810 with Kenko extension tubes and a 60m 2.8 on the StackShot rail on a Manfrotto 410 geared head on a manfrotto tripod (cant remember the model of the tripod legs). I put the object I am photographing inside of a lighted Lightbox but I think it would be better if I used a flash or strobes. I have never really played with flash other than the Nikon Speedlight SB-700 that I use for work.

People on another forum recommended Flashpoint 300 for me to use however upon looking at the product it seems to use the Nikon 10 pin connection and that port is already being used by the StackShot.

So can somebody recommend a good Flash or pair of flash I can use to freeze the object for focus stacking?
If you are thinking of the sync cable for the FP 300, that goes into a different port than the 10 pin for the stackshot controller. The sync port is just above the 10 pin port on the 810. I just recently got a pair of the 300's and IMO they are quite superior to speedlights for a desktop setup. Good luck.

RubberDucky4444

Post by RubberDucky4444 »

Sorry I was looking at the remote trigger that I would use with it. Flashpoint R2 i-TTL Wireless 2.4 G Flash Remote Trigger Transmitter and Receiver for Nikon (X1-N) I am looking at images online and it looks like the 10 pin

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

If you decide on the Adorama Studio 300 AC, then you just need the R2 or R2 Pro RF Remote Transmitter, it sits on the D810 hot shoe, no wires. The Studio 300 AC Strobes have a built in receiver that works with the R2 or R2 Pro RF remote, no wires.

tevans9129

Post by tevans9129 »

RubberDucky4444 wrote:Sorry I was looking at the remote trigger that I would use with it. Flashpoint R2 i-TTL Wireless 2.4 G Flash Remote Trigger Transmitter and Receiver for Nikon (X1-N) I am looking at images online and it looks like the 10 pin
I have the D810 and the Studio 300 strobes and before I got the Xpro trigger, I used the sync cable from the D810 to one of the strobes while the 810 was also connected to the Stackshot from the 10 pin jack. The wireless remote trigger does not require any cable from the camera. My apologies if I have misunderstood what you have written.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic