4X Objective Test Part Two - High End Objectives

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

4X Objective Test Part Two - High End Objectives

Post by RobertOToole »

Part two of my 4X comparison is online!

Just the shooting section took me hours and hours over 3 days but it was all worth since I have discovered more than I thought I would.

During this part I found my favorite Nikon Objective, and its not a PlanAPO!

The Objectives in Part Two.

Link for part 2, High-End Objectives:
https://www.closeuphotography.com/4x-te ... objectives

4X test
Camera: Sony A6300, model # ILCE-6300.
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2
Wireless controller: Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter

For the test, the infinity corrected objectives were mounted on my 52mm studio set-up with a Sigma 200mm tube lens, the Sigma Life-Size Attachment diopter.

With 33 lenses tested there was way too much data so I broke the comparison up into 5 groups.

1. 4X For Less Than $100
2. High-End Objectives
3. Enlarging Lenses Compared at 4x
4. High-magnification macro lenses at 4x
5. 3x and 5x lenses tested at 4x.

All comments and questions welcome.

Robert

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Another useful piece of work :)
Chris R

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Again a great work!

When I click to open the images at https://www.closeuphotography.com/4x-te ... objectives they open nicely and it says "Clicking on an image will open a larger version" that doesn't open, is it the actual pixel crop or are the links not working?

I'm a bit surprised by the bad corners of the plan apos, specially the newest infinite CFI lambda.
Of course they are microscope objectives designed to be paired with eyepieces and so they should cover the eyepiece field
Nikon sells CFI UW 10× (FN 25) eyepieces to work with this CFI series of objectives, 25mm doesn't cover the APSC corners but it a does at the center of the short borders. Will be nice to see 100% crops of that position
Last edited by Pau on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

... the closer borders, yes.
some of the CA does correct in post processing, too.
Chris R

typestar

4x Test, part 2

Post by typestar »

Dear Robert,

again a GREAT Work with this second part of your huge tests and how you let us benefit from your results. Thankyou!

Encouraging results for the "lower" Nikon CFI Plan Fluor lens (and the tiny Lomo 3,7x). Interesting to see the final 5x lenses pushed down a little...
(Like the Nikon LU Plan 5x...)

This work must be very exhausting,
so much power for the rest of your testing. :)

All the best,

christian
Last edited by typestar on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

Great work, and very interesting.

Just a quick question, are the non-infinity lenses just mounted on an extension, ie. without the 200mm lens?

Mike
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

What excellent work! And surprising results too. This is a great resource, a wonderful contribution to our community.

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Nice work Robert!
Thanks for your effort on this tests, they are very useful for community.

You are great!
Regards.
Omer

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Robert,

Thanks for doing all this work, really appreciated. Will be interesting to see how well the Mitty compares with the Nikon at ~4X. I guess the two will be hard to distinguish.

Best,

Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Pau wrote:Again a great work!
Thank you.
Pau wrote: When I click to open the images at https://www.closeuphotography.com/4x-te ... objectives they open nicely and it says "Clicking on an image will open a larger version" that doesn't open, is it the actual pixel crop or are the links not working?
So they do open in a new window but the size is the same?

The server sends out an image based on the device type res, it has 5 sizes, up to 1500px. I can upload larger but it will slow the site down. If this is the case, you are already at 1500px. If you are on a small screen, hitting the new image it will go full size or 1500px.

Does that makes sense?
Pau wrote:I'm a bit surprised by the bad corners of the plan apos, specially the newest infinite CFI lambda.
Same here, imagine me, I own all of these and never bothered (or really wanted) to look critically or side by side.

The Super Fluor is my new favorite.

BTW, I have a TU plan Fluor 5X on the way, that should be interesting.
Pau wrote: Of course they are microscope objectives designed to be paired with eyepieces and so they should cover the eyepiece field
Nikon sells CFI UW 10× (FN 25) eyepieces to work with this CFI series of objectives, 25mm doesn't cover the APSC corners but it a does at the center of the short borders. Will be nice to see 100% crops of that position
Thanks for the reminder Pau, I meant to add OFN numbers for all the objectives and .... I forgot!

One objective had a OFN 18 but had a decent image circle!

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Photomicro wrote:Great work, and very interesting.

Just a quick question, are the non-infinity lenses just mounted on an extension, ie. without the 200mm lens?

Mike
Hi Mike,

Yes, just a normal flocked extension tube.

Glad found it interesting.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:What excellent work! And surprising results too. This is a great resource, a wonderful contribution to our community.
And lots more on the way. I still have 3 more parts to finish.

Also I plan to run a 5X test soon, I have lots of nice optics, New MM 5X-A, Qioptiq Mag5X, Mity 5X, Mity 7,5x, TU plan Fluor 5X (fresnel lens!), and a LU BC Plan Fluor. I think the Mity 5X will beat them all but it still should be interesting.

Thanks Lou.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

lonepal wrote:Nice work Robert!
Thanks for your effort on this tests, they are very useful for community.

You are great!
Thanks Omer :D

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:Robert,

Thanks for doing all this work, really appreciated. Will be interesting to see how well the Mitty compares with the Nikon at ~4X. I guess the two will be hard to distinguish.

Best,

Mike
Thanks Mike.

The Mity is a personal favorite, and it doesn't disappoint, and yes it is close.

Robert

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks for your answers-
RobertOToole wrote:The server sends out an image based on the device type res, it has 5 sizes, up to 1500px. I can upload larger but it will slow the site down. If this is the case, you are already at 1500px. If you are on a small screen, hitting the new image it will go full size or 1500px.

Does that makes sense?
Yes, it does. I have a 24" monitor and the images directly open at 1500px wide, although with the phone even at portrait position clicking on them does nothing.
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic