Olympus UVFL 40/1.30 field curvature

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Olympus UVFL 40/1.30 field curvature

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

I have recently got hold of an Olympus UVFL 40/1.30 microscope objective. Upon testing, I noticed a considerable field curvature in this objective, more pronounced than usual in a non-plan fluorite.

Does anyone here own this objective? I just want to make sure that there is no defect.

Regards, Ichty

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

For fluorescence. Light transmission into near UV is more important than field flatness. Try the Leitz NPL Fluotar 1.3 oil instead, a much better lens.
I am not young enough to know everything.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

The Leitz? Oh, I wish ;)

It's just that it is more pronounced than usual; I'm keen to know if anyone can confirm this observation so I can be sure it isn't defective.

Regards, Ichty

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I don't have this particular lens, but I do have the Nikon equivalent UV, high NA, oil immersion X40, designed presumably for fluorescence work. It also has quite noticeable field curvature. I've not used it a lot, but when I did for some diatom work, I used stacking to overcome the problem.

Picking up Choronzon's point, I have seen and indeed bought several nice high quality X100 fluorite objectives from Zeiss and Leitz that looked as though they had hardly, if ever been used. The explanation was:

'We bought the microscope and a selection of lenses from the salesman as a 'kit' to use up the grant, but we never use oil in the lab, that objective just sat in the drawer till we disposed of the microscope.'

David
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic