www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Laowa 15mm f/4.0 1:1 macro lens
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Laowa 15mm f/4.0 1:1 macro lens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Laowa 15mm f/4.0 1:1 macro lens Reply with quote

Just got this lens to try a different "look" for macro shots and thought I'd share my first impressions. I haven't had chance to take it out for a proper macro session yet so the attached are only handheld snaps taken around the house. All straight out of camera (Sony A9) with levels adjustment only.

This lens is excellent for "environmental macro" where you get a reasonably focussed, wide-angle background in the same shot as an up-close subject (what I bought it for). Thanks to the 14-blade aperture, the bokeh in out-of-focus regions is really smooth and creamy too. Although 1:1 is supported, it isn't that useable in practice as the close focus distance of ~5mm makes lighting tough! Still, further away at a bit less than 1:1 it gives great detail and sharpness in the centre with slightly soft corners wide open. By f/8.0 it all cleans up nicely from corner to corner. SA and CA are well corrected at all focus distances.

The only real downer (IMO) is the amount of barrel distortion, especially at the closest focus distance. There's loads! It's right on the limit of what can be corrected in post, but it is just about fixable, most times.

Overall - a fully manual but very useable lens that certainly delivers a novel "look" to macro shots. With it's built-in simple shift mechanism, it makes it a very versatile wide-angle and architecture lens too. Recommended!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: