www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Aphid Party
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Aphid Party

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houstontx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Aphid Party Reply with quote

Aphids taken on a flowering plant in the garden. 1st pic is of my first 10 image stack with Zerene Pmax (just bought it). To me this is a pretty fun composition since we see multiple life stages (white things are shriveled aphid moltings). 2nd pic is a single shot with UV flashlight to show the fluorescence potential. I have yet to attempt a UV stack, but aphids seem to be good subjects. My lighting is awful, a cheap led ringlight no diffusion. Auto White balanced & sharpened in gimp so its overall its pretty bad.

But had to share because these guys are just so fascinating. And I noticed some kind of symbioses between these guys and ants, they are stuck face down into the leaves/stems and the ants hover around them and seem to care for them somehow.

Forgot to add this was taken with a Wild M3 Apo at 25x setting. Canon t3i and 2.5x Lens in the phototube.

Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos but I could not help but to notice some under age aphids at the party.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot -- live aphids are tough to stack!

You have here a typical riotous collection of aphids.

The ants will be "farming" them, offering protection and sometimes transport in exchange for sweet exudate. Searching the internet for ants farming aphids will get lots of info.

It looks like you also have quite a few "mummy" aphids. Those are the dull gray ones. Each of those is hosting a parasitic wasp, which will eventually emerge by cutting a small circular hole in the side of the distended abdomen. See for example http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3643 and the follow-up at http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3719 . Search aphid mummy for more info.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: