Building a micro stacking rail using Arduino

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

Building a micro stacking rail using Arduino

Post by mjkzz »

A step by step blog on how to build a micro stacking rail using Arduino, source code included as well key schematics.

The key part is to find that PARTICULAR small rail on eBay as I got it in China (link's in the blog if you have access to Taobao), but I think you can find other types on eBay (link's in the blog). Total cost, including the Arduino, should be less than 15USD, including step motor circuit (dual H-bridge) as it relies on the Arduino to produce stepping sequence. All other components are readily available and are cheap.

I wrote the blog as many want to build it themselves. Here is the blog

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Peter,

That is a very tiny rail. How much weight can it handle?

Best,

Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've purchased a few various types of these micro rails and steppers for experiments. There are some that have very fine pitch screws and reasonable step counts. They cannot move much weight, but my plan has been to use several of them to create a simple vertical stage, using them mechanically in parallel and electrically in series. So far no time to complete the project, like many others in queue. Nice to see an Arduino solution for this.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

@Mike, yeah, it is tiny, I tried putting a fly on it, no problem. I think it is good for small insects.

@ray, it was fun building it, for sake of realizing an idea :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic