User experience from using in-camera focus bracketing

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

JL wrote:I can not answer your questions, but probably you can ask Mark Berkery at https://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/ . My understanding is that he uses a M43 camera coupled with a 60 mm Olympus macro and Raynox lenses, as you can see in his blog, he does get spectacular results.
Thank you very much, JL.

Mark Berkery got amazing field macro images, using his M4/3 and superzoom bridge camera, diffused flash and Raynox DCR-150/250/150+250 stack.

His measured working distance of Raynox 150 is almost the same as my WD (about 8 inches).

I also learned how Mark uses a stick as one "tripod leg" and his own legs/knees as the other two, when he shoot field macro.

Member Johan's very helpful web site offers a calculator for Raynox lenses, whose results confirmed Mark's WD for Raynox 250 (at around 4.5 inches) http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

It also tells me that Raynox 250 offers about 1.55x magnification on my 150mm Oly zoom lens. Raynox 150 offers 1x and 150 stacked on 250 offers 2.4x. With that stacked 2.4x magnification, I can still get about 7.5 cm of WD and 7.2mm field of view, which is good enough for small ants.

I am convinced and will buy a Raynox DCR-250, even though my Schneider Componon S 50mm F/2.8 can provide similar magnification (but with less working distance, 6.5 cm vs 11.7 cm and without autofocus). Different horses for different courses, I guess (Schneider is likely better for studio macro and stacking).
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

jojm

Post by jojm »

A quick test tonight

Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm Macro+DCR 150, manually focused for 1:1
FOV: 12.5 mm which means x 1.38 on the sensor
WD:48mm

Olympus M.ZUIKO 60mm Macro+DCR 250, manually focused for 1:1
FOV: 10.5 mm which means x1.65 on the sensor
WD: 41.5 mm

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I use the Raynox lenses all the time on my bridge camera in the field, as do many of my friends, and they are wonderful.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you very much, Jean-Marc, for your test results.

And thank you Lou for your comment.

I am sure the Raynox lenses will work well for my educational purpose, mainly owing to their long working distance, compactness and low cost.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

By the way my bridge camera, an FZ300, has a very long zoom lens, and this allows high magnifications with a Raynox.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

I have an E-M10 Mark II now and can confirm that in-camera focus bracketing works beautifully with Raynox 150/250 snapped onto auto m4/3 tele lens, such as Olympus 40-150mm and Panasonic 100-300mm.

The electronic shutter (silent mode) of E-M10 II is truly motionless too, I have tested it on microscope with high NA immersion objectives and diatom dots.

Also, the camera's electronic shutter can work with 3rd party non-m4/3 flash, as long as flash is in manual mode and shutter speed is slower than 1/25 (dark band appears at faster shutter). The Olympus flash sold with E-M10 II does not fire in silent mode.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic