Sony a6300 & stackshot

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nielsgeode

Sony a6300 & stackshot

Post by nielsgeode »

Is it possible to connect the Sony a6300 to a stackshot? The camera doesn't seem to have a cable release port and I'm tempting to buy it because it is affordable and supports full electronic shutter so there's no shutter wear from long stacks :)

If not, what other solutions (e.g. USB) would be possible?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I would ask Cognisys, but I don't think you can trigger the camera with anything but the specific trigger cable from the Stackshot controller.

With this in mind I wouldn't get any camera that doesn't have the ability to be triggered externally with a trigger cable for macro use, otherwise you will not be able to use Stackshot, nor Wemacro focus rail systems.

Best,

Mike

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

mawyatt wrote:I would ask Cognisys, but I don't think you can trigger the camera with anything but the specific trigger cable from the Stackshot controller.

With this in mind I wouldn't get any camera that doesn't have the ability to be triggered externally with a trigger cable for macro use, otherwise you will not be able to use Stackshot, nor Wemacro focus rail systems.

Best,

Mike
Sony makes the ony RM-VPR1 Remote Control Multi-Terminal, which is a cable release connected to the usb port. Apparently, it can be triggered via usb, but I have no clue what wires or software or communication is used.

Google gives me a usb to 2.5mm adapter cable for this camera, which can be interesting if it works. From 2.5mm it is easy to use an adapter to connect it to the cognisys cable. If it doesn't: the usb software which works on pc/mac (and which I have tested today) have a timelapse function (a silent pic every x seconds). Keeping that in sync with the movement of my rail will do the trick, although it is not as elegant as triggering the camera from the stackshot controller.

There's another app called qdsldashboard, which according to this youtube video should allow remote live view via wifi. So I think in theory I should be able to connect (via an adapter cable) the stackshot to the usb port and connect my computer via wifi to the camera.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

For $39, Cognisys sells an interface cable that directly works with the Sony a6300 (via usb).

I wonder if there are forum members that own a sony mirrorles with silent shutter: I'd like to know what you'll see if you do a silent shutter exposure of 1s (or similar), in a dim-lit room at high aperture (so you would get a underexposed photo), with a flash not connected to the camera being fired during the exposure (by pressing the test button on the flash). Will it give proper exposure and an even-lit frame at the correct flash power setting?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I use Nikon cameras which have a multi-pin connector which is used to trigger the camera, so don't have to worry about using a USB trigger. This works directly with the Stackshot controller trigger output as it does with the Wemacro and MJKZZ controllers.

I use the Stackshot controller USB connection port with a MacBook Pro running Zerene which interfaces directly with the Stackshot controller. So this takes up the single Stackshot USB port when using Zerene to control the Stackshot rail. Wonder if the Congisys USB camera trigger cable would work under this configuration with a USB hub? The reason I mention this is that Zerene is the best user interface for the Stackshot rail or any rail system IMO. Very intuitive and does just about everything you need for serious stacking, but requires the Stackshot controller be connected by USB to your laptop computer.

When you get further along in stacking you might want to use this combo of Stackshot and Zerene, thus the point about being able to trigger your camera and have the USB available for use with Zerene.

Something to consider, and worth another question to Cognisys.

nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

mawyatt wrote:I use Nikon cameras which have a multi-pin connector which is used to trigger the camera, so don't have to worry about using a USB trigger. This works directly with the Stackshot controller trigger output as it does with the Wemacro and MJKZZ controllers.

I use the Stackshot controller USB connection port with a MacBook Pro running Zerene which interfaces directly with the Stackshot controller. So this takes up the single Stackshot USB port when using Zerene to control the Stackshot rail. Wonder if the Congisys USB camera trigger cable would work under this configuration with a USB hub? The reason I mention this is that Zerene is the best user interface for the Stackshot rail or any rail system IMO. Very intuitive and does just about everything you need for serious stacking, but requires the Stackshot controller be connected by USB to your laptop computer.

When you get further along in stacking you might want to use this combo of Stackshot and Zerene, thus the point about being able to trigger your camera and have the USB available for use with Zerene.

Not sure if I get you there. Actually, I've been using Simple Stackshot Controller to control the stackshot because I prefer that interface over the one in Zerene Stacker.

I have a desktop computer that I use, so USB is not a problem. The stackshot is connected via usb (so I control that one) and I have an interface cable from the RC port to my Canon camera. A second usb cable runs from my camera's usb port to my pc. It gives me live view on my computer monitor and the controller triggers the camera during stacking.

The a6300 interface cable connects to the same RC port on the controller and to the usb port on the camera. I can get live view on my computer via WiFi so I don't need the camera's usb port for that. However, I'm pretty sure that qdslrdashboard can also do a timelapse to trigger the camera every x seconds. You can then simply let the stackshot rail move in sync with the camera actuations and you don't need any cables to the camera whatsoever :) (oke, just one cable for the AC power adapter, but that could be replaced with a battery)

glmory

Post by glmory »

I have been using the a6300 and stackshot almost a year with great results. If you are not using a flash, silent shutter on the a6300 is really nice.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

nielsgeode wrote:
mawyatt wrote:I use Nikon cameras which have a multi-pin connector which is used to trigger the camera, so don't have to worry about using a USB trigger. This works directly with the Stackshot controller trigger output as it does with the Wemacro and MJKZZ controllers.

Not sure if I get you there. Actually, I've been using Simple Stackshot Controller to control the stackshot because I prefer that interface over the one in Zerene Stacker.

I have a desktop computer that I use, so USB is not a problem. The stackshot is connected via usb (so I control that one) and I have an interface cable from the RC port to my Canon camera. A second usb cable runs from my camera's usb port to my pc. It gives me live view on my computer monitor and the controller triggers the camera during stacking.

The a6300 interface cable connects to the same RC port on the controller and to the usb port on the camera. I can get live view on my computer via WiFi so I don't need the camera's usb port for that. However, I'm pretty sure that qdslrdashboard can also do a timelapse to trigger the camera every x seconds. You can then simply let the stackshot rail move in sync with the camera actuations and you don't need any cables to the camera whatsoever :) (oke, just one cable for the AC power adapter, but that could be replaced with a battery)
If you prefer the direct Stackshot UI then the USB isn't an issue. I just like the Zerene UI over the Stackshot.

Getting the time-lapse synced up over a long stacking session might be difficult, but in theory should work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic