Compact field macro lens rig for micro four thirds sensor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Compact field macro lens rig for micro four thirds sensor

Post by zzffnn »

Thanks for checking this thread. I would like some advice on choosing a compact field macro lens rig for micro four thirds. I do not want to carry a focus rail.

Camera is an Olympus E-PM2 for now, but will likely be the Pen-F in near future. Is there a cheaper micro 4/3 that can provide motionless electronic shutter and auto focus bracketing?

Desired on-sensor magnification is around 1:1 (field width around 18mm). Subjects would be small insects.

The obvious choice is the Olympus 60 mm F/2.8 macro lens, which can do quick auto focus bracketing under natural light (a big plus for me). Lou has shown that beautifully with his work.

Such a camera+lens upgrade is not cheap for my casual educational work. To be fair though, it is not that expensive either, considering what they can provide; I just love cheap rigs that are "85% there" - that way my kids can use them to learn without worrying of breaking something worth $500).

A much cheaper option that CANNOT do focus bracketing is Schneider Componon S 50mm F/2.8 + extension + flash + good diffusion. I tried it today and like the results. Only con is a shortish working distance at 1:1 magnification - about 70 mm (on micro 4/3), if I remember correctly.

Raynox DCR-150 on a cheap zoom 40-150mm (at 150mm) will likely get to about the same magnification, with working distance of about 140-160mm, as I heard.

But does that extra 70mm working distance (offered by Raynox) matter, with insect flash macro in the field (w/o stacking, for now)?

I can imagine extra WD always helps with lighting options. The best flash diffusion I have is a tube of Vellum paper around and in front of the lens, but it will occupy some working distance and may scare away some insects (? Please correct me, if I am wrong). A DIY flash softbox made of Vellum paper works reasonably too (though light is harsher), without the worry of occupying free working distance.

Any other options?

I already have a decent studio macro rig.

I also have a Canon FD 50 mm F/1.4 lens, which can close focus to 0.45 m and be reversed and extended, though have not tried it for macro yet. I did find an old forum post that used this kens reversed over an 100mm lens:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 094edff5a9
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

JL

Post by JL »

You may take a look at the Olympus Tough TG-5. It have a "microscope mode" and, as its name imply, is tough enough to be used in the field by kids.

Check the following links (there are probably many more):

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product ... ture4.html

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photog ... -stacking/

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I do recommend the PEN F + Oly 60mm. There are cheaper Olys that do in-camera focus bracketing, but their user interfaces are extremely frustrating. The PEN F is also complicated, but you can learn it and the most-used functions are easily accessible. In-camera focus bracketing is a really nice feature. Best with a tripod but in good light you can do it hand-held.

There are wireless Oly flashes that add extra flexibility to fieldwork.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you very much, gents.

JL,

The TG-5 is interesting and offers quite many useful features. If you happen to own one yourself, would you please kindly let me know:

Does the TG-5 offer:
1) swiveling LCD? It does not seem to, judging from online photos.
2) truly motionless electronic shutter? I did see that it has electronic shutter.
3) manual control of focal length?

Lou,

Good point on user interface. The UI of my E-PM2 does suck, IMHO. I did read its manual carefully, but many useful features are NOT easily accessible.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

One other special thing about the PEN-F; you can use flash with the silent electronic shutter with no problems. Older Oly bodies can't. Neither can the Sony A7Rii, or any Canon camera (as far as I know), or any Nikon camera except maybe the very newest model.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you again, Lou. Yes, you mentioned that before and I remember it. That feature is very useful for fast ciliates.

JL

Post by JL »

I am sorry, I do not own the TG-5. Is just that after reading your original mail this camera came into my mind. Nevertheless, you may try to get some information by asking in one of the forums of dpreview.com (Olympus compact camera talk) https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1008

Good luck.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you, JL.

I have registered at their forum and posted my questions. They likely would e bale to answer question 3).

I just found that answer is no to 1).

2) may be a tough question for folks who don't shoot high magnification macro/micro.

TG-5 is nice, though at its current price with flash diffuser, I may get Pen-F+Oly 60mm macro first, then maybe TG-6 when my sons are older and/or when we are going diving.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic