Optikos Teradyne 2.82X 106MM F/2 Inspection Lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Optikos Teradyne 2.82X 106MM F/2 Inspection Lens

Post by RobertOToole »

Came across a very interesting on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, but bad ad photos made it hard to see any details, so I sent a low offer, and the seller accepted!

This is what I received.

That is what I call an iris!

All I know so far is what is on box label. If anyone has any info on it, please let me know.

Optikos is a 35 year old optical metrology company in MA, USA with clients like Qioptiq, Lensrentals, etc. Teradyne is 30+ yr old company based in MA that supplies semiconductor inspection equipment with clients like Samsung, intel, etc. So I have to assume that this lens is for semiconductor inspection.

The good

With a nominal f/2 and optimization for 2.82x it has the potential to be a great lens. So far handholding the lens, with flash, it covers full frame and is very sharp with little CAs.

The bad

Both threads are non-standard. The big side is male 52 OD and 0.80. Standard M52 should be 51.5-51.6 and 0.75. The smaller end is 44.25mm OD. Looking at having adapters machined right now. I will update my site and this thread when I get the adapters installed.

Any questions, comments, or help would be appreciated.

I put up a quick basic info page on my site:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/optik ... m-f2-lens/

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

After owning this lens for a couple of years I just realized that it actually does perform best at 2.8x, where it perfectly sharp at f/2.

I have updated the page on my site with some new image samples at 2.8x at f/2.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/optik ... mm-f2-lens

Previously I was using the lens from 2.5x to about 3x where I preferred f/2.8.

Now I know f/2 is best at the designed magnification. I should have just read the label on the box in the first place. Better late than never I guess :shock:

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Look at that low serial number! I wonder if there are more than two of them in the world.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Always nice to have such gems to be reminded of.. For the smaller thread is that M45, as used with some Printing Nikkors and the Rodenstock Modular focus helicoid?

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

Lou Jost wrote:Look at that low serial number! I wonder if there are more than two of them in the world.
or more then 1002?
just kidding, I doubt more then a handful were made.

Lovely lens and thanks Robert for showing them to the rest of the world, even though it sometimes triggers some envy ;)
chris

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I like it! It looks like a giant eyepiece.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It looks like a giant eyepiece.
Sometimes you can find objectives mislabeled as eyepieces on eBay. Especially telecentric toolmakers' objectives from Mitutoyo or Olympus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic