Leitz Vario-Orthomat to 23.2mm Port. Ideas please.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dolmadis

Leitz Vario-Orthomat to 23.2mm Port. Ideas please.

Post by dolmadis »

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ioorthomat

I wish to try out a Leitz Vario-Orthomat, which fits into an Ortholux 38mm trino port, on a trino with just a 23.2 mm port

Not being very mechanically minded I do not know whether this is likely to be possible with any readily available, inexpensive parts.

So ideas/part suggestions please.

Many thanks

John

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

What trino? Pictures, please. If the phototube is short or removable it could be done with a custom machined adapter. you would need not only to match the diameter but also the right optical position.

AFAIK the vario Orthomat is in fact a zoom compensating photoeyepiece originally meant to be used afocally with a 1/3 lens.
Pau

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks.

Assume just any trino with an internal 23.2mm ID port. Nothing specific.

If there are no ready made opportunities or combinations for mechanical means of 38mm OD to 23.2 ID then I do not wish to invest in a costly custom machined adapter.

I have the complete Leitz Vario-Orthomat to hand with an adapter to Canon EOS.

Still would welcome readers who have a mechanical awareness around available parts to chip in if at all possible.

br

John

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

It is not going to be possible as the diameter going in is smaller than the zoom periplan eyepiece. If you simply raised the periplan zoom eyepiece up with an adapter, you would destroy the tube length as well as the parfocality.
Then you have the problem of no .32X lens in the Canon adapter to contend with.
Leitz/Leica also made a very rare infinity Periplan zoom eyepiece for the infinity microscopes that has a smaller diameter mount so as not to be confused with the finite compensating Zoom Periplan. Only smaller by one or twomillimeters, though.
I am not young enough to know everything.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you for that advice.

The infinity zoom must be as rare as you say because a simple search string finds no references.

Thanks again.

BR

John
Last edited by dolmadis on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

It's from an era when Leitz / Leica was in turmoil, product wise. Little to no product information is available except by inference.
I use it sometimes on a Zeiss Axiomat Pol with the 0.1x c mount adapter and a Nikon DS 5 color camera.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Talking about the opportunity to mix and match could I just seek your advice/reaction to the thought of using an NFK 5X and a 0.32X on a BH2-TR30 Trino tuning it with a custom tube length by experimentation? To get round the expense and dirth of an NFK 1.67.

Many thanks again for your time.

BR

John

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

With the .32x, you can use a normal comp eyepiece, you do not need an Nfk projection eyepiece

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks. I have a few comp eyepieces to experiment with. If this board had a "Like" button I would have hit rather than so many words.

"Like"

BR

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic