Camera storage - Drybox advice

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

a couple of low watt bulbs in there
It really doesn't take much. You don't want to bake the stuff, just make it a few degrees above ambient and you won't get condensation, because you're well above the Dew Point, & the RH will be low.
Air movement and daylight are good, to help stop spores growing, though obviously fresh air ingress gives you more air to process.

CaCl is effective as a dehumidifier too - as sold in "Poundland"!
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

But make sure you get indicator dessicant. Otherwise you won't know when it is dead. And I get the feeling you may not realize how quickly it dies.

stormfoxy

Post by stormfoxy »

Lou Jost wrote:If you go on the sealed-box route, make sure you use indicator dessicant that changes color when full of water. Most people don't realize how fast dessicant becomes saturated.
Will do.
I have a few questions about using bulbs in a cabinet if you don't mind.

- what material of cabinet is best ie wood, metal?
- Should the cabinet be open or closed?
- Do you leave the bulbs on constantly or turn them off?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

You leave the bulbs constantly on. Low wattage incandescent bulbs, not fluorescent or LED.

You want the cabinet to be very slightly vented.

Wood is easier, metal is less likely to burn. In the past I've made them out of big floor tiles or wall tiles, made into a cube with silicone, with the top just resting there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic