www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Lighting makes a difference
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lighting makes a difference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macro Photog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Lighting makes a difference Reply with quote

I wanted to share this with the forum to show how just repositioning lighting can make a big difference.

I took these shots last year but was not able post them until now. They are of the same specimen and orientation but with repositioned lighting. The specimen was sent to me to shoot for the left shot (blue needles - layman term) but when I lit the piece a different way the matrix in the left shot appeared. The blue needles are physically in front of the matrix. It was quite a surprise as the matrix is very suppressed (almost invisible) with no lighting. Both shots include bottom and back lighting. The matrix became apparent when the bottom lighting was moved to the rear and front light was suppressed. The same lighting was used in both shots. I apologize for the quality of the shots. I'm terrible at uploading to sites.

ray_parkhurst

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a completely different specimen!
Jim70

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. You're right, lighting can bring out different features. I wonder how it would look using a polarizer. You might see some additional features if you could light it with a UV lamp.
Macro Photog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Using UV is an interesting idea. Unfortunately the specimen has been returned to the owner but I will consider that as a possibility in the future.

I worked with the files a little more and I am up loading ones with somewhat higher quality. Hopefully these will give you a better idea of what is going on in the different lighting conditions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: