Reflection, Refraction, Specular Light and Shiny Subjects

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

concon wrote:It took me a few reads, but I'm on the same page and think you've nailed it.
Sorry for writing something that requires multiple reads to be understood. :D I'd like to find a clearer, simpler way of explaining this. I think it's a tough concept for many of us.
concon wrote:When stepping through source images, especially with spheres, I can see the properties you are referring to- each source image shows the 'bottom' of the head in a very different place. . . .
As you say, this is distinct evidence that you're not utilizing the full aperture for those elements of the scene. You probably know this already, but what's happening is that as you focus in and out, the utilized portion of the aperture shifts. The effect looks very much as if you moved either the lens or subject. If you can get the heads lit so as to fill the full aperture, they will not appear to move as you focus in and out--and will be recorded with higher resolution.
concon wrote:. . . will try to post a few in the old topic I created in the microscope gallery area :)
Great! I'll be looking forward to them. :D

Edit to add: OK if I move this thread to the "Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions" forum?

--Chris S.

concon

Post by concon »

Generally if it requires multiple readings it means I'm learning something so that's all good :)

Very excited to get some shooting in today to explore getting more light under the bottom of my subjects- always excellent to have direction!

You're more than welcome to move this post wherever you'd like.

Thanks again for the reply and giving me a great place to start.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic