Suggestions for a camera monitor?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

Suggestions for a camera monitor?

Post by Cactusdave »

I'm looking for a small monitor, probably 10", to use with my microscope cameras for focus optimisation. Mainly it would be used with a Canon 5DMk2, but also with other cameras with a Live View HDMI output. It doesn't need a battery option, I don't plan to use it in the field. Obviously I'd like good resolution and reliability, I'd also like it to be mountable on a 'magic arm'. That's why I'm hoping for advice. There are so many similar specification Chinese offerings and so many different names, that I'm hoping some people with personal experience can offer suggestions. I'd like it to be available to buy in the UK.
David
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I've been really happy with my Aputure monitor. It does come with battery, but can be powered externally too (which I do). Very good bang for the buck IMO.

There are several models to choose from but you'll find a couple of pictures of mine here. It was attached to the camera at this time (flash hotshoe) but I have it mounted on a magic arm attached to a Noga stand these days. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ht=aputure

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Beatsy. That's exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for. Aperture aren't the cheapest, but if you're pleased with the reliability and image quality that's worth a lot. Ideally I'd like something a bit bigger than 7". I'll see what else they have in their range.
David
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Is there any particular reason you need a larger monitor? Perhaps the viewing distance? I ask because you'll be limited to HDMI resolution whatever size you get (1920x1200). A larger monitor gives you bigger pixels, not more resolution (obviously). You'll zoom using the camera controls in live view so even a small monitor can show enough detail for critical focusing - at a lower cost (if budget is a consideration). Just a thought...

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I take your point about resolution Beatsy. My reason for thinking about a slightly bigger screen was to allow it to do double duty, both for focusing and for allowing a second (perhaps non-microscopist) person to view the image and what's going on. I thought a slightly bigger screen would be better for this. I like the look of this 10" Eyoyo, but I'm not sure whether it would be adaptable to a magic arm. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyoyo-Monitor- ... ch+monitor

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Beatsy wrote:Is there any particular reason you need a larger monitor? Perhaps the viewing distance? I ask because you'll be limited to HDMI resolution whatever size you get (1920x1200).
Actually, with at least some of these small monitors (I cannot say how many, but a sizable percentage, and probably the large majority of the cheapest ones), you get much less than HDMI. Virtually all of them accept an HDMI signal, but then the LCD screen has a significantly lower resolution in pixels, so strictly speaking you don't get HDMI resolution on the screen.

The actual LCD resolution is usually well hidden deep in the specifications, if stated at all.
--ES

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

As far as I can check from the specifications, both Beatsy's Apurture, and the Eyoyo I linked have full HD resolution screens, but what you say is certainly true of some camera monitors. There are a lot of these being advertised and sold at the moment as '4K' monitors, when what they mean is they will accept a 4K input from the camera, but their actual display is limited to HD.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

I agreed, Aputure monitor is pretty good, I believe it is IPS type with very good contrast and view angle. [edit]I have the Viltrox DC70, it is OK one but it is not IPS which I forgot to ask when I bought it. Later on, I played with the Aputure one (forgot model), it is much better in terms of contrast and view angle[/edit]

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Well, I've ended up buying a second user Apurture Fine HD VS-2 7" monitor kit for a good price on eBay. It comes with hot shoe arm, battery, chargers, DC power supply and a very nice fitted field/storage case. So I'm looking forward to receiving it.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Very pleased with my Apurture VS-2. In fact it's one of those " how the expletive deleted did I manage without it before" things. The image is sharp and high resolution, there are a lot of functions built into the monitor, set up from a slightly clunky drop down menu. Most useful I have found so far is the one press X2 zoom. This is really good for critical focussing, and much more useful than the in camera X5 focus assist zoom on my Canon 5dMk2.

A couple of pictures, one showing the setup working with my Diaphot and the Canon 5DMk2, one a screen shot giving an idea of the image quality. Both just phone camera shots. The Canon 5DMk2 only outputs 1080i over HDMI, rather than 1080p. I haven't tested the monitor yet with a 1080p feed. I would hope the image quality might be even a little better.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Looking good and glad you like it. You probably won't notice any difference with 1080p, except (perhaps) when you're viewing motion. Static images are exactly the same AFAIK.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic