www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - dust picking with sticky putty
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
dust picking with sticky putty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lothman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: dust picking with sticky putty Reply with quote

Hello,

most of us have to fight dust on small objects. Often blowing does not help wet cleaning is not possible. Blowing dust often has the problem to drive it deeper into the object. Therefore Watchmakers use cleaning putty like Rodico from Bergeon since decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LJGa9z-h8

Rodico is rather expensive and hard to get. I discovered that the much cheaper Uhu Patafix (Removable and Reusable Glue Pads) works in the same way, it also removes finger prints. You can form a small tip on a tooth pick and pick off dust particles on delicate objects without leaving residue. May be there are similar products under a different name in different countries available.

https://www.amazon.com/patafix-gluepads-pads-white-color/dp/B00FG5RMUK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522426255&sr=8-3&keywords=uhu+patafix

May be this helps :-)
regards
Lothar
RobertOToole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: dust picking with sticky putty Reply with quote

lothman wrote:
Hello,

most of us have to fight dust on small objects. Often blowing does not help wet cleaning is not possible. Blowing dust often has the problem to drive it deeper into the object. Therefore Watchmakers use cleaning putty like Rodico from Bergeon since decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LJGa9z-h8

Rodico is rather expensive and hard to get. I discovered that the much cheaper Uhu Patafix (Removable and Reusable Glue Pads) works in the same way, it also removes finger prints. You can form a small tip on a tooth pick and pick off dust particles on delicate objects without leaving residue. May be there are similar products under a different name in different countries available.

https://www.amazon.com/patafix-gluepads-pads-white-color/dp/B00FG5RMUK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522426255&sr=8-3&keywords=uhu+patafix

May be this helps :-)
regards
Lothar

Thanks for the idea Lothar. I have some similar putty I can try that is used on cars that is also very sticky.

All the best,

Robert
BugEZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting way to help handling small delicate objects! One of the videos showed it being used to carefully remove tiny screws once they were backed out.

A google search of “ tac poster putty” produced many similar US products. I will have to try using this to get dust off of fly eyes.

Thanks for sharing!

Keith
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodico is easy enough to get in the UK....:
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rodico

It's useful to put a spot in the slot of a screw - which then sticks to the blade to make removal, and particularly insertion, easy.
GaryB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip, I just ordered some Radico green from Esslinger.com for $5.88.
Seems like a very reasonable price and half that of Amazon.
zzffnn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a certain putty can cleanly remove finger prints without leaving mess behind, then will it work for sensor cleaning under stereo microscope? I am just curious.
GaryB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fan,
I plan to find out when it arrives. I have a dirty sensor I'm going to dab. It's not an expensive camera so I'm not worried but I think it'll work great for dust/grime removal. It's supposed to leave no residue,
Len Willan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another use for Rodico
A Simple Horizontal Rig for Pinned Insects
The “Stick Pin Tubes” of various lengths are the next larger gauge of hypodermic needle secured by a soldered off cut of the locking screw of a camera cable release.
Pins of all sizes can be safely pushed into the wad of Bergeon Rodico that has been inserted into the open end of the tube, and when the Rodico is spent it can easily be removed with a small twist drill.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8722&highlight=rodico
zzffnn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryB wrote:
Hi fan,
I plan to find out when it arrives. I have a dirty sensor I'm going to dab. It's not an expensive camera so I'm not worried but I think it'll work great for dust/grime removal. It's supposed to leave no residue,

Thank you, GaryB! Please keep us posted. I PM'ed Deanimator too, who had spent some time cleaning his sensor before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: