Samyang 2/135 - failed tube lens but great otherwise!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Samyang 2/135 - failed tube lens but great otherwise!

Post by Beatsy »

Some may remember I got a Samyang 135mm f/2.0 some time ago to try out as a tube lens (Sony FE mount). Turned out utter pants for that, perfect circle vignetting! It even clipped the corners in APS-C crop mode. But it was a low risk gamble as I figured it would be useful as a manual short tele anyway, and boy does it work well there! Sharp as sharp can be, even wide open, and a complete bokeh-monster. It turned out to be the cheapest creamy bokeh I ever bought :)

The attached pic is marginally macro-related in the sense that it (quilling paper) was shot from 5 feet away and cropped in tight for the close-up look. But it shows off the qualities of the lens pretty well (IMO) and I thought someone might be interested...

135mm, f/2.4, ISO 500, 1/30th, Sony A9 (24mpix). Cropped to about 7mpix before downsampling for upload here.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Nice composition with the selective focus.

Reminds me of a stack of Jiu-Jitsu belts.

Robert

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I appreciate it when folks report what doesn't work. Less exciting than posting what does work, but still potentially saves others time and money. :smt023

Brilliant way of demonstrating bokeh, too!

--Chris S.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Steve,

Yes, fantastic as a manual 135 f2 but poor as a tube lens as previously reported here.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... sc&start=0

It's still the sharpest lens I have. Really like the way you are showing out of focus areas, beautiful!!

Lou has a new AF Sigma 135, which apparently is slightly sharper, as well as the Rokinon/Samyang 135. Recently he modified a teleconverter (1.4X I believe) to work with his Printing Nikkor 105. Would be interesting to see how the Rokinon/Samyang sharpness holds up with the teleconverter. I think the flange that prevents the Nikon 1.4X to work with other lenses is the part Lou removed. So it might fit the Rokinon/Samyang.

Great post, thanks for showing.

Cheers,

Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice test! Also, glad to hear the problem with it as a tube lens is only vignetting. It would be good on MFT then.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Lou Jost wrote:Nice test! Also, glad to hear the problem with it as a tube lens is only vignetting. It would be good on MFT then.
Yes, I think it would Lou - in terms of the image projecting OK. However, it is a big, heavy chunk of glass and will definitely need good support at the lens end as well as under the camera. Space could be an issue, especially if you're on an automated rail. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it as a tube lens at all.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

mawyatt wrote:Steve,

Yes, fantastic as a manual 135 f2 but poor as a tube lens as previously reported here.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... sc&start=0

Mike
Oh, duh! You know, I completely forgot I'd posted that! Seems the sharpness of my brain is becoming inversely proportional to that of my lens collection :) Soz.

Thanks for your other comments too.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Mike, I ended up not getting the Rokinon. Yes, there is an extra tab on the TC14E III to keep it from being mounted on most older Nikon lenses, and I removed that. I am sure the TC thus modified would work on the Rokinon in Nikkor mount, and would remove the vignetting. But then you might as well just use a longer prime tube lens.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou Jost wrote:Mike, I ended up not getting the Rokinon. Yes, there is an extra tab on the TC14E III to keep it from being mounted on most older Nikon lenses, and I removed that. I am sure the TC thus modified would work on the Rokinon in Nikkor mount, and would remove the vignetting. But then you might as well just use a longer prime tube lens.
Lou,

Sorry, I had thought you had the Rokinon also.

Yes, my thought was a 190mm f2.8 that might be really good as a tube lens, even though the 135 isn't. Would probably be a really sharp normal usage 190mm f2.8 as well.

Just not sure I'm willing to grind off the tab of my Nikon TC1.4 to find out!!

Cheers,

Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

If you can get the mount screws to screw out properly so that you can take the mount off before grinding the tab off, there seems to no risk. If you can't remove the mount, as happened to me, then yes, it is a tense operation!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic