Nikon D850 focus step size at 1:1 magnification

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

billjanes1

Post by billjanes1 »

Leonard Sheppard was fortunate enough to obtain a Nikon D850 and performed a focus stack at a magnification of approximately 1:1 with the smallest step size of 1 with the 105 mm VR. He took 30 shots covering a distance of about 4 mm, giving a step size of 0.133 mm. According to Rik's DoF table, the DoF for a full frame camera at m=1 and f/5.6 is 0.28 mm. Therefore, the automated focus stacking of the D850 should work fine at 1:1 magnification. His post can be found here.

Bill

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

In the various discussions it seems only newer AF lenses are supported for this. Question>>does the D850 support the older AF lenses (like the 200mm) at all? Does the D810? I assume they do but can't seem to find that detail anywhere.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Ray,

According to the online D850 manual, page 212, it supports AF-S and AF-P lenses. Not sure if this means only Nikon lenses or 3rd party lens too.

Best,

Mike

billjanes1

Post by billjanes1 »

mawyatt wrote:Ray,

According to the online D850 manual, page 212, it supports AF-S and AF-P lenses. Not sure if this means only Nikon lenses or 3rd party lens too.

Best,

Mike
I interpret this to indicate that the microstep auto focus stacking is supported only with the AF-S and AF-P lenses which have a built in focus motor. I think the 200 mm Micro-Nikkor has the older "screw driver" focusing mechanism that requires a focusing motor in the camera body. Looking at a photo of the D850 on Ken Rockwell's site where he reviews the D850, I see that the D850 does have the screw driver pin as shown in the attachment. Therefore, I believe that the D850 would support this lens for regular auto-focus not for automatic focus stacking.

Bill

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Yeah! Thanks for the confirmation. I expected this from a professional body, but wanted to confirm. I have quite a few AF lenses that I would want to use with the D850 eventually. For now the old D7000 is doing the job.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Bill Janes wrote:He took 30 shots covering a distance of about 4 mm,
Good news - the reference to 1/30th of FL did sound unlikely.
That's a game changer. :smt045
Sad but expected news about the screwdriver lenses!
The only one AF-S I have is a 28-300, Holiday/Vacation only, lens. No good as a tube lens.
Chris R

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Will be nice when they eventually release a 200mm AFS lens.

pierre

Post by pierre »

Dear Bill,

Has this body an electronic shutter ?
Regards

Pierre

billjanes1

Re: Nikon D850 focus step size at 1:1 magnification

Post by billjanes1 »

pierre wrote:Dear Bill,

Yes, it does. However flash synch options are uncertain.

Bill

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

billjanes1 wrote:

Bill
By my understanding, the camera is a DSLR with Mirror and Mechanical shutter. However, Nikon has enabled a fully-electronic shutter that operates only when the camera is in Live View mode.

billjanes1

Post by billjanes1 »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
billjanes1 wrote:

Bill
By my understanding, the camera is a DSLR with Mirror and Mechanical shutter. However, Nikon has enabled a fully-electronic shutter that operates only when the camera is in Live View mode.
It makes most sense to use silent mode (electronic shutter) in LV, since the mirror must already be up to enable the electronic shutter to operate. Apparently, electronic first shutter no longer requires MUP and can be

You can download the D850 manual from Nikon. They discuss live view with electronic shutter beginning on page 49.

On page 217 they discuss the focus shift (stacking) feature. It can not be used with live view and they say state that selecting ON for silent mode disables flash and the exposure delay mode. This is not good news for focus stacking enthusiasts.

I have the 850 on order, but have not received it and hopefully those who have received it will report their experience. The manual is not that clear to me on whether or not the electronic shutter can be used without live view.

Bill

leander

Why can't Nikon D850 drive a Nikon 200mm macro

Post by leander »

I can hook a tablet to my D800 and use Control My Nikon to automatically drive a focus stack using the Nikon 200mm macro. So why couldn't nikon just build that feature into the camera firmware? Just input step size and how many shots you want the camera to take. I would think it would be pretty simple to do......?????

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

On page 217 they discuss the focus shift (stacking) feature. It can not be used with live view
Well, that's $3500 I don't need to spend then.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:
On page 217 they discuss the focus shift (stacking) feature. It can not be used with live view
Well, that's $3500 I don't need to spend then.
I had no interest in this feature anyway, so no harm no foul in my case. All I care about is:

FF
EFCS (or better yet full electronic shutter)
No AA filter
Decent tethering

Far as I know, this is the only camera that offers this particular feature set other than the 5DSR.

leander

Post by leander »

Yeah!! but....cables and a tablet and I have to put on my glasses and I had to get a special stylist because the software on the tablet doesn't expand so you have to push buttons that are microscopic.... it would be a pleasure to do focus stacking in the field with the camera controlling everything. It's possible...it appears Nikon has taken a stab at it but for people that do a lot of this the 200mm macro is a better lens to use (over the 105) - better Bokeh, better subject to lens distance. I'm just wishing I suppose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic