confused newbie bellows extension tubes FF or Crop Lomo 3.7x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Chia seeds are interesting close up, also carraway, etc etc.
Sugar and sea salt will test your lighting control :shock: .
Flash makes life easy from the vibration angle, but it's much harder to get the light how you want it.
Squishy stuff under a solid slab is a good way to go for ambient light sure enough - but there are other things too if you go that route, such as needing long exposures so the shutter vibration (use mirror lock) is only a very short part of the exposure (1/8th or so is the worst). Then you need bright lights - tungsten bulbs are rather hot, LEDs are OK (look up Jansjo or Jansjö from IKEA) but not very bright, less good spectrally, and not very cheap if you want a few. This is teaching you egg-sucking, looking at your portfolio :oops: .
What I'm suggesting is, stick to flash for a bit :)

And you will need another adapter. Everyone always does :D
Chris R

Photocherry

Post by Photocherry »

Chia seeds are interesting close up, also carraway, etc etc.
Sugar and sea salt will test your lighting control
Thanks with these examples I will look forward checking out some images, I've seen the sea salt ones before and really like those, but never searched the sugar or those particular seeds, - I saw a cucumber seed image on here and it looked other worldly, the surreal aspects of these subjects definitely appeals and the lighting control will be good to practice aswell

I usually only use the flash at its lowest settings for alot of my high-speed photography but seeing all the set ups used for beyond 1:1 opens up a whole new world. Thanks for letting me know that my flashes will be sufficient for now, I will get a cheap led modelling light to get me started & to help with flash placement & as you both have mentioned several layers of diffusion.

That made me smile with needing more adapters, it's definitely a hobby with increasing want for more gadgets :D

Thanks again for all the help, as soon as my kit arrives I will start setting up and seeing what I can capture, with all this new knowledge gained from this website and this post :smt109 :smt023
Cherry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic