Wemacro vs. Stackshot

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Wemacro vs. Stackshot

Post by Deanimator »

While I'm not a beginner at macrophotography, I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to automated rails.

I just finished Johan's review of the Wemacro, and had previously done some reading on the Stackshot. His review was very helpful, and indicates that (as of time of submission) you traded a modest amount of convenience for a substantial reduction in cost vis a vis the Stackshot.

While I'm no longer in the penurious state in which I previously found myself, I still can't go throwing money around recklessly.

Is the Wemacro a good choice for somebody with moderate macro experience and strong computer skills? Price-wise (especially during the current sale), it's VERY attractive.

I will be using it tethered to an Android tablet, as I see that Android, via either Blue Tooth or USB is supported (I currently use DSLR Controller via USB).

Are there any pitfalls of which I should be aware?

Fall is fast approaching, and with it the end of my [somewhat limited] outdoor macro activities. Zerene (already purchased and in use) and an automated rail will give me lots of opportunities to experiment.

I'm looking forward to exploring the possibilities of non-autofocus lenses, and the only practical way to explore this is an automated rail.

So, is the Wemacro the way to go?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

My first automated focus rail was the Stackshot, I got back in ~2011 I think. It's very well designed and built, and as someone mentioned the Cadillac of focus rail systems.

The WeMacro is a copy of this focus rail and has some nice features like the Bluetooth control. They also have a very attractive Vertical Stand, which is superb!

The big difference is the Stackshot controller, especially when used with Zerene. This interface allows one to do the things that they want and need to do without any hassles. Hands down the best controller and interface you can buy for serious focus stacking work.

The WeMacro controller is nice in that it has Bluetooth, but lacks in the usefulness of the Cognisys Stackshot controller with limited control of the rail position, GoTo capabilities and flexible use with other focus rails (stepper motor & screw thread pitch parameters are not programmable).

If you are on a budget the WeMacro system is a bargain. However if you are a serious user doing lots of stacking sessions, soon you will get frustrated with the limited capability, especially during setup. I believe William at WeMacro is considering addressing these limitations, so we may see an updated controller/software in the future.

I've run the WeMacro rail directly from Stackshot controller utilizing a custom adapter cable I made, it works great. I've also run a modified THK KR20 rail and Peter's MJKZZ SR-90P rails with custom adapter cables, these also work great with the Stackshot controller.

I've even run the modified THK KR20 rail with the WeMacro controller using a custom cable I made, it works also (has same parameters as WeMacro screw thread and stepper motor), but has the same controller limitations mentioned.

The WeMacro is certainly capable though (and somewhat flexible as shown), just not as efficient as it could be with some software/firmware updates. Like Stackshot/Zerene it works with Macs too, which is what I use.

For someone starting out in automated focus stacking the WeMacro is a great starting spot, and one of the best bargains available.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Best,

Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:For someone starting out in automated focus stacking the WeMacro is a great starting spot, and one of the best bargains available.
Yes, that was extremely helpful. Thank you.

I'm not a professional, and am just doing this for personal amusement. I'm willing to put up with a certain amount of inconvenience for the right amount of savings, and the Wemacro appears to provide that.

Now that I'm working again, I plan to buy something so that I have the freedom to use non-Canon, non-autofocus lenses and other equipment like bellows, which DSLR Controller doesn't allow me.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I'm a Nikon user so can't say much about Canon. You just need the proper cable to trigger the specifc camera from the controller.

You can use lots of different lens in macro, including dedicated macro types with proper Camera body mount, reversed lens, stacked lenses, enlarger lens, reproduction lens, microscope objectives and so on. A good bellows with proper adapters is a great way to explore lots of lens choices, some very reasonable.

Recently Robert O'Toole pointed us to a AmScope 4X microscope objective that is quite good around 4X magnification. It's no Mitutoyo, but for $18 it's a super bargin!! Below is an example with the AmScope 4X, shot on a WeMacro Vertical Stand and WeMacro Focus Rail.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/generic-objectives

Another bargain is the old El-Nikor 50mm f2.8/N enlarger lens which you might find on eBay for less than $50.

With the proper reversing adapter you can use some older (with manual aperture ring) lens reversed, or with another adapter reversed on the front of a longer lens.

Lots of fun things to explore!

Best,

Mike

Last edited by mawyatt on Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:With the proper reversing adapter you can use some older (with manual aperture ring) lens reversed, or with another adapter reversed on the front of a longer lens.
Thanks.

Right now I'm using DSLR Controller, which works by shifting focus via an Android tablet or phone. Needless to say, this requires an autofocus lens.

I'd like to be able to use my old manual Minolta and Vivitar lenses for stacking without having to use my manual focus rail. The Wemacro allows this.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The WeMacro rail may be a better rail than the Stackshot rail in one important regard. If you need to do steps of 1 micrometer, the WeMacro rail can do it accurately. I think the Stackshot (at least the older version I have) does not perform consistently if steps are that small. I think it wobbles less during stacking than the Stackshot also. (This can be reduced by putting a lateral load on the Stackshot carriage, as shown by some forum members).

The WeMacro rail and controller has been recently updated. William kindly sent the new versions to me in the US. My family sent them on to me in Ecuador but they still haven't gotten here (it is now 3 months in transit). I'll report on them when I get them but I suspect the controller is much improved over the original.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Lou Jost wrote:The WeMacro rail and controller has been recently updated.
That's another factor tending me in that direction.

Thanks.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou,

The lateral load or Off-Axis Load as I call it, works equally well with the Stackshot rail as with the WeMacro rail, also works with Peter's MJKZZ rail.

I think 1um steps with either is possible but step uniformity might not be too good. The Stackshot uses a 1/16" pitch screw, which is 1.5875mm, whereas the WeMacro uses a 1mm pitch screw. The Stackshot has a 200 step per rotation motor and the WeMacro can be ordered with a 200 or 400 step motor.

The minimum step movement for the Stackshot is 1.5875/200 or 7.9375um, and the WeMacro is either 1/200 or 1/400, which are 5 and 2.5um respectively. So motor micro-stepping is required to get to 1um steps, with the WeMacro requiring less micro-stepping which should be slightly better I would think.

If you really want to get to 1um steps with good uniformity, then the modified THK rails are probably the best route. These can be found with 1mm pitch screws. As mentioned, they can work with the Stackshot or WeMacro controller with a proper custom cable.

I also received the updated WeMacro rail sometime ago, but this was just the rail not the controller. William has modified the rail with better slide bearings to improve the rail against what I call rail wobble. So kudus to him for continual improvements, but I don't know if the controller has been updated or not, maybe William can comment.

BTW, the image above was with his new rail with improved bearings.

Best,

Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou,

Since you have a Stackshot Rail, you should try and use the controller with the WeMacro rail. This gives you all the nice features of the Stackshot controller and use with Zerene interface like I use, but with the WeMacro focus rail.

Best,

Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Nice image Mike! Glad you like the lens.

Robert

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Hi Deanimator,

I recently acquired the Wemacro Rail and I love it. You did mention to write my review and I am compiling it. sorry for the delay.

Here is my take.

I am an amatuer/hobbyist photographer with the same purpose as you for now. To get amazed by the fine details that are there in everyday objects and subjects.

Since I am not a professional or in a field where per pixel precision is a matter of life and death, and budget was limited, I chose the wemacro.

I live in India, so getting ready made custom parts easily is a difficult task and few people have knowledge.

The wemacro package does the job for that price and it does beautifully.
I run the controller via the PC but Android should be fine. William has started support with Helicon. I will check that soon.

Sharks here also uses the wemacro.

Let us know if you have any questions for that.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

anvancy wrote:Hi Deanimator,

I recently acquired the Wemacro Rail and I love it. You did mention to write my review and I am compiling it. sorry for the delay.
Thanks for the information.

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on the Wemacro.

Just one question: What did you mean by "sharks"?

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

mawyatt wrote:I've run the WeMacro rail directly from Stackshot controller utilizing a custom adapter cable I made, it works great.

I've also run a modified THK KR20 rail and Peter's MJKZZ SR-90P rails with custom adapter cables, these also work great with the Stackshot controller.

I've even run the modified THK KR20 rail with the WeMacro controller using a custom cable I made, it works also (has same parameters as WeMacro screw thread and stepper motor), but has the same controller limitations mentioned.
Mike, can you share, please, the various custom cables you mention and perhaps the DIY and components as you made them yourself?

Many thanks.

John

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

RobertOToole wrote:Image

Nice image Mike! Glad you like the lens.

Robert
Thanks Robert. It doesn't show well here with the limited resolution, actually looks much better at higher res. Let me know if you want to see/use the higher res version.

I was/am really impressed with this $18 lens, so thanks again for pointing us towards it!!

Best,

Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

dolmadis wrote:
mawyatt wrote:I've run the WeMacro rail directly from Stackshot controller utilizing a custom adapter cable I made, it works great.

I've also run a modified THK KR20 rail and Peter's MJKZZ SR-90P rails with custom adapter cables, these also work great with the Stackshot controller.

Mike, can you share, please, the various custom cables you mention and perhaps the DIY and components as you made them yourself?

Many thanks.

John
Hi John,

First you need to get the mating connectors for the rail system. Cognisys (Paul) can provide the Stackshot controller connectors, get a few (both male and female to be safe) since you will need to pay postage which is more than the connectors. These are special and I could not find them from an electronic supplier, so order them from Paul. Likewise get the mating connectors for Wemacro from William, or Peter from MJKZZ (he normally supplies the connector & cable that plugs into his stepper motors). Get a few and both male and female for same reasons, postage.

Once you have the connectors, the standard NEMA 17 stepper motors (200 and 400 step versions) have two separate windings. Use an ohmmeter to identify the winding wires on your stepper motor and match these to the wires on the factory wired connector stepper motor. You can go to Google and see the various wire color schemes for NEMA 17 motors, which may help identify the windings.

I made an "adapter cable" for the Wemacro rail, this is a cable that plugs into the Stackshot Controller cable and the other end plugs into the Wemacro rail cable from the motor. So sort of a "jumper cable", Stackshot connector on one end and Wemacro connector on the other. For Peter's rails, I just attached the Stackshot connector on the end of the connector/cable Peter provided for his rails/motors (plugs directly into the connector on the motor rather than a pigtail wire & connector like the Stackshot & Wemacro rail motors).

After you have the cable adapter made up, check out the connections with an ohmmeter. Once you are sure the cable connectors are wired correctly (no shorted pins), then simply plug in and turn the Stackshot Controller on and run a test. If the rail runs backwards, then reverse a pair of wires to a single winding (not both).

It's harder to describe than actually do. If you aren't comfortable with soldering small connectors or electronics, ask a friend or find a local electronic repair shop.

Anyway, I've made adapter cables for Wemacro, MJKZZ and Stackshot, as well as the modified THK KR20 rails. I can even run the THK KR20 rail from the Wemacro controller.

You could do the same with Peter's MJKZZ focus rail system as well, I don't have access to a usable PC now (I am a Mac user), so I cant run his controller since it's only PC compatible, not Mac compatible. However, I'm sure it would work similar to the Wemacro Controller.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Best,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic