Any Zeiss Photomicroscope experts out there (?)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Any Zeiss Photomicroscope experts out there (?)

Post by Smokedaddy »

Has anyone run into this problem before? I have a Zeiss Universal or Zeiss Photomicroscope condenser/stage holder in nice condition. The old super sticky grease didn't allow the plunger to go in and out to hold it in place. So I dissembled and cleaned everything thoroughly and re-lubricated everything. The plunger that pushes up against the dovetail now operates smoothly. I am able to push it in now, however the plunger will not 'lock in place' so that it pushes up against the dovetail. The 'lever" works fine and moves up and down as it should but the plunger doesn't seem engage into locking mode therefore pushing up against the dovetail to lock it in place. I have studied it but can't seem to figure out the problem. I have tried screwing the lever onto the threads a different number of turns thinking that had something to do with it but am at a loss. The other one in the image seems to be working fine. There is no way it is 'broken, it has to be an assembly problem that I don't understand.

Last edited by Smokedaddy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genera

Post by genera »

I can't tell for sure but it looks like the plunger has two different faces on the dovetail side. Have you tried rotating it 180 degrees?
-Gene

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks for the suggestion but that's not the problem. It has something to do with assembly and the cam located inside the lever cap.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

The first picture is of the inside of the lever cap.

That isn't a BALL as I called out below, it's a pin with spring behind it.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

After a lot of trial, error and some more thinking this morning I figured it out finally. The 'lever' has to be screwed on all the way until it is flush with the stainless steel bracket, then reversed one full turn. The lever position must be approximately at the 1:00 o'clock position just clockwise of the fixed pin that is pressed into the large condenser housing bracket acting as a stop. That allows the plunger to be pushed out to the furthest extent and locking the plunger to the dovetail.

-JW:

Tardigrade37

Post by Tardigrade37 »

I have had the exact same issue. Perhaps this diagram will help.

Images acquired on a Zeiss Axiovert 200M.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks very much for the diagram. As I mentioned in my last posting, I figured what the problem was. Simple fix.

Regards,
-JW:

Nathan Renfro

Post by Nathan Renfro »

This post was very helpful. Thanks a lot. I had a similar problem and couldn’t figure it out until I read this.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I never could get my stage to work correctly (meaning the actual stage where you mount a side) therefore quitting the entire project.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic