www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Repairing the XY mechanical stage for the Olympus BH-2
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Repairing the XY mechanical stage for the Olympus BH-2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlh6902

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Repairing the XY mechanical stage for the Olympus BH-2 Reply with quote

Here is the latest bit of the Olympus BH-2 I've finished. I hope that somebody finds it useful.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ckZ6amci3tQTYwT0g1dHl1aEk

Carl
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very valuable paper, Carl, thanks for making the recording so well, and posting it up.
Alan Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Carl

I think that makes 5 of your very useful Olympus BH-2 repair guides, all of which are available here:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/downloads.html#repair

Alan Wood
Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Shocked Useful doesn't begin to cover it. Very nicely done. Thank you!

Tom
zzffnn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Carl and Alan, for providing such useful resources for the community. If I had known of your resources before I started microscopy as a hobby, I would have gone with Olympus (instead of Nikon) as my main stand.
carlh6902

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzffnn wrote:
Thank you, Carl and Alan, for providing such useful resources for the community. If I had known of your resources before I started microscopy as a hobby, I would have gone with Olympus (instead of Nikon) as my main stand.

It's never too late to come to the dark side.

Carl
micro_pix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! Many thanks.
neurodoc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved your repair manual...It's everything a reasonably handy DIY amateur (like me) needs to clean lube and adjust mechanisms like that Olympus stage! Is there anything out there like your manual for the Zeiss Standards and WL's? I've done some decent work on my scopes using mechanical common sense and experience working on other more or less complex mechanisms, such as clocks, watches, cameras, and photographic lenses. I'd like to suggest a technique I've used in CLA work in my other hobbies.

On pages 19-20 on the locking thumbscrew assembly you mention trying a heat gun to free up a sticky plunger. A trick I've found that works extremely well to free up mechanical scope parts frozen together by hardened (and even corrosion) involves immersing them in an ultrasonic bath. Of course you don't do that for optical components, unless you can safely remove the lenses beforehand.

I've used this technique to quickly free up some frozen components that just wouldn't come apart by other means. Have you ever tried this trick, and if so what do you think of it? Of course you've got to completely dry the parts before reassembling and lubricating them, and it should be quite safe for things, like nylon, that won't be damaged by a brief exposure to water plus a little detergent.
carlh6902

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to hear feedback on the BH-2 stuff. I have indeed thought that ultrasonic cleaning could work, but I have never tried it, since I don't (yet) have an ultrasonic cleaner.

I'm working on the write-up for the sliding focus block portion now, and should have it wrapped up in the next few weeks. After that, the binocular head. Now those can get really froze up due to grease.

Carl
myxomop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is as impressive as it is overwhelming. i now know why repairs cost so much.
Canon 6D, Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Amazon.com : YongNuo YN-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash, Laowa/Venus Optics KX-800 Flexible Macro Twin Flash, Gitzo GT2540EX Tripod, Acratech GV2 Ballhead

MICRO:
Trinocular Olympus BHS, SPlan 4x, 10x, 20x, 40x (1.25 N.A.), SPlanApo 100x Oil (1.4 N.A.), BH2-AAC Aplanatic-Achromatic 1.4 N.A Brightfield Condenser, WHK 10x 20 L Eyepieces, NFK 2.5× LD 125 Photo Eyepiece, Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A SLR Camera Adapter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: