www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Need Advice For Gem or Crystal or Mineral Photography
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Need Advice For Gem or Crystal or Mineral Photography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonepal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Need Advice For Gem or Crystal or Mineral Photography Reply with quote

Hi!
I want to try gem or crystal or mineral photography.

Where can I get the samples?
Which one should I start with?
Anybody has experince can lead me?
Thanks.
zzffnn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omer,

I don't have much experience and don't live near a mineral production site.

So I use eBay and started with reasonably priced samples. Such as amethyst, rainbow fluorite or lace agate.

http://www.architecturendesign.net/45-extremely-beautiful-minerals-and-stones/

On that list, I have #14, 15, 19, 21 and 22, plus vanadinite, citrine and and a few others that I cannot remember. I am traveling, but can get you a more complete favorite list on next Wednesday.

With my small but not tiny crystals, I use 1x on sensor magnification most. And 4-6x on sensor magnification sometimes.
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought these were the "reasonably priced from ebay" samples you'd bought, until I saw the kids in hard hats! Shocked
Harald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Omer,
I buy some from eBay.com. If you go to Collectables, rocks, fossils and minerals, and the go to "Display Specimen"

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Display-Specimens/3225/i.html?_fsrp=1
you have a lot to chose from.
When it comes to photographing, I would recommend a light tent to start with. Gives you good control over the light.
DonĀ“t buy a big one....
Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Camera-Tripod-Stand-For-SLR-80cm-Soft-Tent-Backdrop-Macro-Photo-Kit-Set-UK-/302018182591?epid=566792045&hash=item4651afbdbf:g:KIIAAOSwayZXjc1y
But drop the tripod in this kit..
I have an 30x30x30cm tent

Just something from my own experience

Good luck Very Happy

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11
zzffnn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
I thought these were the "reasonably priced from ebay" samples you'd bought, until I saw the kids in hard hats! Shocked

Laughing That was why I did not say I have #5.

When buying minerals from eBay, I usually spend less than $35 USD per sample (most reasonably sized micro mount samples can be bought for that much, including shipping). I have covered the color spectrum with the very most popular minerals, for around $300 USD.
Crinnis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Photographing minerals you buy.... Reply with quote

Look on facebook at the pictures displayed on the pages of the British Micromount Society. Many of the members will post pictures of the setups they use to record images. You could try e-rocks mineral auctions to buy your specimens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: