Curved sensor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Davids

Curved sensor

Post by Davids »

It appears that researchers are getting closer and closer to developing curved sensors in an efficient manner :
https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/fullte ... &id=367160

The increase in resolution with a curved sensors is pretty remarkable. My question is a hypothetical one. Say new cameras come out with curved senors - would our current optics work well with these new sensors or would we have to invest in new lenses and objectives?

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Yes, I had read about this, and discussed it a bit with Steve West. It will require all new lenses... as for infinity objectives going into a tube lens, I don't think so, however. Finite conjugate objectives / enlarger lenses etc, wouldn't work, but I think infinity should.

One worry I've got is that each manufacturer will select a different curvature, meaning that simple adapters won't do the trick, either. There are definite advantages to a curved focal plane, but there are advantages to a plane as well...

Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

mtuell wrote:It will require all new lenses... as for infinity objectives going into a tube lens, I don't think so, however.
To clarify, that would be standard infinity objectives going into a new design tube lens that is matched to the sensor. You would need a single new tube lens, but not a new set of objectives.

--Rik

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Yes, that is what I meant, Rik.

Thinking a little more, for finite optics, there would obviously be significant field curvature. While annoying, I guess this isn't actually a show-stopper if you are focus stacking. Single images would be terrible, however.

For standard photography, a whole new set of camera lenses would be required.

Mike

austrokiwi1

Post by austrokiwi1 »

Sony has just patented three lenses ( 645 format) for a curved camera sensor. That company has previously patented a medium format Curved sensor. I note that patents don't necessarily lead to new equipment getting to market and the patenting process may just be to protect the research. My understanding is although a curved sensor would require new lenses those lenses may well be cheaper to produce than those for a flat sensor. Petzval lenses might well make a come back ( minus the swirly bokeh)
Still learning,
Cameras' Sony A7rII, OLympus OMD-EM10II
Macro lenses: Printing nikkor 105mm, Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G, Schneider Kreuznach Makro Iris 50mm , 2.8, Schnieder Kreuznach APO Componon HM 40mm F2.8 , Mamiya 645 120mm F4 Macro ( used with mirex tilt shift adapter), Olympus 135mm 4.5 bellows lens, Oly 80mm bellows lens, Olympus 60mm F2.8

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic