www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Objective collar stiff / spring stuck
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Objective collar stiff / spring stuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomblurt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Objective collar stiff / spring stuck Reply with quote

I have just recieved an ebay purchase of a Nikon CFN Apo 40x/0.95, as seen at http://www.krebsmicro.com/Nikon_CF.pdf

Although in good condition, the adjustment collar is very stiff - it will rotate but takes a lot of force, and the spring doesn't seem to be working.

What can I do to get the objective back in goood shape please?

Edit: The two rings with knurlings are easily unscrewed, but I'm reluctant to try to remove anything more. The lever that moves the adjustable lens group is smooth. Could it be solidified lubricant between the lens and the casing?
boomblurt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this was the right way to go but a few tiny drops of de-solv-it quickly made everything smooth again. I used as little as possible and removed any excess.

Although it works well with DIC, image quality of the 40/0.95 appears similar to the 40/0.70 DIC, although I haven't taken any photos yet so it's just a first impression. My CFN 10/0.45 Apo was a noticeable improvement over the 10/0.30 Ph1.
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No actual experience with that model. I bough a Zeiss Planapo 40/0.95 that also had the correction collar stiff. I removed just the lower shell and cleaned of residues without solvents nor lubricants. Now it works fine.

The difference between 40/0.70 and 40/0.95 is not so evident at first look, but it is when you get used to the correction collar and with subjects with details small enough like some diatoms. The 0.70 is more forgiving when coverglass thickness and sample thickness are not optimal. I continue using both objecives.
JohnyM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into focus stacking... enjoy your new correction collar.
There is a reason why i got 0.7 AND 1.4 lenses, without anything between.

After using solvant, make sure you remove old grease before it gets stuck again. If you wont do that fairly quick, grease will get where you dont want it.
boomblurt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a few quick stacks of diatoms and see that the 0.95 Apo is clearly better, for both BF and DIC. Although I've seen discussions of NA and coverslip thickness and spherical aberrations it is still surprising how much difference the collar setting makes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: