Nikon D7000 to AO One-Fifty...

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

eric dolphy

Nikon D7000 to AO One-Fifty...

Post by eric dolphy »

hello

a beginner asks about image capture using either the D7000 attached to the AO, or, attaching an objective to the DSLR...

someone mentioned using this intermediate set-screw adapter (between AO and camera), attached to the DSLR via an M42 ring:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OG ... UTF8&psc=1

or, purchase an objective, and mount it to the camera, without the AO 'scope...

what are the trade-offs between each method...?

thank you...

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

For imaging microfossils in sand, you really need to do focus stacking.

If you mount objective directly to camera, without microscope, you need to build a focus stacking rig from ground up, which is a bit more complex / expensive and I do not recommend for a beginner like you. If you are the the technical type of person who can figure out a DIY stacking rig yourself easily, then you may not need a microscope.

For sand, you are better off using vertical stacking rig, if you build one from ground up. But before doing that, you still need a microscope to view sand samples containing microfossils. And microscope itself is a vertical stacking rig.

It is much easier and cheaper to use your current microscope (objective, eyepiece and focus drive mechanism) to do afocal imaging, using a 50-60mm full frame equivalent lens and camera. Simply align your lens behind the eyepiece of AO150, using the adapter I referred to you.

That adapter can fit on most of microscope eye tubes and does not interfere much with visual viewing. You can use it with or without microscope eyepiece. But with AO150, I recommend using microscope eyepiece along with the 50-60mm full frame equivalent camera lens.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic