the best flash for me

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jurkovicovic

the best flash for me

Post by jurkovicovic »

Hi Im new here,
so I cant give advice, but I need advice :D
I hope that my english will be understandable.

So big welcome for me :)

I using pentax bellows with pentax M 28mm reversed lens.
Lens focusing me object 5cm distant from firs lens.
I would like and need to buy some flash, but I dont know which.
I need flash which nicely illuminates me 5cm remote object and all scene.
Im not sure with ring LED/flash, because this flash will shorten this distance. I thinking about YN560III, has a pretty good performance, but is big and heavy.

Do you have some advice for me, or some tips.

Thanks
canon EOS *

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Welcome to the forum :)

Flash - doesn't matter, very much!
You will need a lot of diffusion, so power is useful.
Also it's useful to be able to set the level of power. If the fraction which you use is small, the recycle time will be short.

I have had troubles with Yongnuo units, though.
Chris R

MacroLens

Re: the best flash for me

Post by MacroLens »

jurkovicovic wrote:Hi Im new here,
so I cant give advice, but I need advice :D
I hope that my english will be understandable.

So big welcome for me :)

I using pentax bellows with pentax M 28mm reversed lens.
Lens focusing me object 5cm distant from firs lens.
I would like and need to buy some flash, but I dont know which.
I need flash which nicely illuminates me 5cm remote object and all scene.
Im not sure with ring LED/flash, because this flash will shorten this distance. I thinking about YN560III, has a pretty good performance, but is big and heavy.

Do you have some advice for me, or some tips.

Thanks
I do not have any experience with the brand but a friend of mine who was a full time photographer and shoots only Canon said if he was just starting out he would buy six Yongnuo's at the price of one good Canon flash. He highly recommends their brand and I am looking at one for my Pentax; if I do not spring for a ring flash which is about 5 or 6 times the cost.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Personally, based on a lot of user posts and reviews, I'd steer clear of the YN-560s. They have a known failure mode that's extremely common (stuck in full power). It can be fixed, but you can hurt yourself if you're not careful.

If I buy manual flashes for my studio rig, they'll almost certainly be Flashpoint from Adorama. Tthey're rebranded Godox and have a good reputation.

For other than focus stacking, I use my old Sigma EF500 DG Super flash. It works just fine, does ETTL, and can be manually set to 1/128th power.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I had the Yongnuno Speedlights and had no issue, but agree, Adorama has a great selection of Speedlight flashes and strobes. I've used their strobes for a couple years now and no issues. Most seem to be of Godox origin.

The new Flashpoint Strobe series has a common 2.4GHz wireless radio built-in as does their Speedlights. These allow full control from your camera mount hot shoe, and some are TTL and HS capable. They have low cost entry point Strobes and manual Speedlights, all the way to LiOn battery powered Strobes and Speedlights with full capability and they all work together from the RF remote....very nice.

I sold my Yonguno Speedlights to get the Flashpoint Speedlights so the RF trigger and control would be compatible.

Best,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic